~ thirty four ~

We all sat in silence within Erebor's walls

We all sat in silence within Erebor's walls. Every now and then the kingdom would shake which would cause debris to fall from the walls and ceilings. The orcs were continuing their advance to slaughter us all. We waited...helplessly. I had become restless. My leg was constantly bouncing up and down. I ran my hands through my hair anxiously.

Kili reached over and placed a hand on my leg. He widened his eyes, giving me a 'relax' look. My leg slowed to a stop. I gave him a faint nod, took a deep breath and stood. I paced for a moment before saying, "That's it. We've waited on Thorin too long." I tightened my belt and started towards the wall we fortified. I turned over my shoulder to look at the company for maybe the last time. "I'm going over the wall. I must fight with them. It's the only right thing left to do."

Suddenly I felt a strong arm collided with my chest. My breath escaped me for a moment. I turned back to find Thorin staring deep into my eyes... but something was different. His eyes weren't as heavy and dark. The smallest smile crept over his face. Had he finally changed?

"You're not going anywhere." He said in a low, deep voice.

I took a step back from him. I was surprised but still didn't know what to expect from him. It didn't take long for Kili to lose his temper.

"I will not hide behind a wall of stone, while others fight our battles for us!" Kili boomed. I had never seen him liked this. So angered. So upset. His anger soon turned to tears. "It is not in my blood, Thorin."

"No, it is not." Thorin stepped away from me and rested his hand on Kili's shoulder. "We are sons of Durin, and Durin's folk do not flee from a fight." Thorin leaned forward and pressed his forehead to Kili's. A tear streaked down Kili's face. I could immediately see the weight of the worry he had for his uncle lift from his shoulders.

Thorin stepped back and scanned the rest of the company. "I have no right to ask this of any of you, but will you follow me, one last time?"

Kili checked over his shoulder with a smile, watching the company arise to stand behind him. I smiled with relief. Kili and Thorin grabbed each other's forearms tightly. Kili gave him an assuring nod. "Till the last man...we will fight."

_______

We waited anxiously behind the wall. My new sword was clutched in my hand. Excitement bubbled inside me, yet worry still remained in the back of my mind. I did my best to push it aside to focus on the major task at hand. Save Erebor.

The sound of Bombur blowing the horn of battle sounded over the kingdom.

"Now!" Dwalin ordered.

Fili and Kili kicked out the two support beams that held back a massive bell. The bell swung forward, smashing its momentum into the wall. The wall crumbled to pieces. Fili, with his twin swords in hand, and Kili, with a tight grip on his bow and a quiver full of arrows, returned to the rest of the company. We quickly maneuvered around the rubble to join the fight as battle cries rang from our throats.