~ twenty one ~

Once the kingdom and orc pack was well out of sight, we found a rocky shore to unload ourselves from the barrels

Once the kingdom and orc pack was well out of sight, we found a rocky shore to unload ourselves from the barrels. I stuck Bilbo's sword down into the water and began to use it as a paddle while Bilbo used his arms and legs to push through the strong current. Once we got close enough I tipped myself out and dragged my exhausted body up the shore.

As soon as my legs were out of the water, I let my body down to rest on the bank. I closed my eyes and took several deep breaths. Once I had the energy, I picked up my vision and scanned the dwarves that began to make their way to the shore. Kili's barrel soon showed up after Fili's. I stumbled to my feet and trudged my way through the water to help Kili out of his barrel. He groaned as Fili helped me slid him out and into the water.

"Are you alright? Can you stand?" I asked, trying to raise him to his feet.

He planted his feet and slowly rose to a standing position. "I can manage," he mumbled, holding his leg as he limped away. After his first few steps his knees buckled to the ground. I raced to his aid but he quickly crawled back up to his feet and kept walking. "I'm fine, it's nothing." He sat himself down on a rock and began to examine the wound.

I looked over to Bilbo who now stood next to me. "He's most certainly not fine."

"Maybe he needs a moment? I really don't know, I'm not very good with these things."

I chuckled at Bilbo's comment while Dwalin approached me from behind. Laying his heavy hand up my shoulder. "I wouldn't fret too much lass. Have you seen the way he looks at you?"

"How do you mean?"

"Ha! So naive... I swear to the gods he looks at you like you're the stars themselves, shining in the darkest of nights."

"Hm," I sighed. "The stars you say?"

"Oh yes, dear. I remember well how long he would stare at the night skies."

I smiled to Dwalin. "Thank you," I nodded. "Ya know, for a big scary guy...you're a softy," I chuckled.

"Oh shove off," he said giving me a nudge. "Go get your prince."

I nodded and began my way over to Kili. I stood over him, watching him tear off strips of fabric with annoyance. I lowered myself to sit next to him, placing one hand on his shoulder, and the other on his hands in attempt to calm his frustration. "Kili, look at me," I stated, but he ignored me. I cupped my hand on his face, turning his head to look at me. "What's going on?"

"Adina, please I'm fine," he snapped, ripping his head away from my grasp. I leaned away from him, surprised. He noticed my change of expression. I watched the guilt wash over him. His eyes softened and placed his hands on mine, "Really, I'm fine." My face eased to a very small smile. Kili looked at me for a moment, but then his brows started to furrow. He gently grabbed my chin and turned my head to look at the gash that was across my face. His eyes lowered, pulling away my tunic to reveal the second wound that covered my collar bone. "When did this happen?"

I rolled my eyes. "When I was busy saving your reckless self," I said, touching the wounds to see if the bleeding had stopped, which it hadn't. "It's nothing, just a couple scratches. Now enough about me, we need to get you fixed up." I looked over the dwarves until I found Oin in the crowd. "Oin, over here!" I exclaimed, waving him over.

Oin made his way over and began to unload his satchel of remedies. I watched hin carefully worked around Kili's trousers to rub an antidote around the wound. Kili clutched his leg with clenched teeth.

"Does it hurt?" I teased.

"Ha nah, not much at all," he laughed in between groans.

"We need to keep moving, the orcs won't be far behind." Thorin barked.

"Kili is wounded, his leg needs binding," Fili protested.

"We will be gained on!" Thorin shot back.

I snapped my head to Thorin. "We can spare a moment."

Thorin groaned, but let Oin finish.

I let my eyes wander the shore line, where I found Ori emptying water from his boot. I heard a faint sound of a bowstring being stretched, but it wasn't of Kili's bow. I snapped my head around to find a man standing above a ledge with an arrow aimed at Ori.

I quickly jumped from my seat, grabbed Bilbo's sword and stepped into the path of the arrow, shielding Ori. I threw my hands in the air. "Whoa, whoa....easy," I exhaled. He fired his arrow, which came flying at me. I raised the sword and watched the arrow ricochet away. I let my guard back down, lowering the sword. "We offer you no harm, sir."

He drew another arrow and pulled back, ready to fire. Balin approached next to me with his hands in the air. "You're from Lake Town, if I'm not mistaken? That barge over there, it wouldn't be available for hire by any chance?"

The man turned away and stomped off to his boat. "What makes you think I will help you?" He began to load our barrels onto his boat.

"Those boots have seen better days lad, the coat as well." Balin and the company followed him to the boat. "You must have some hungry mouths to feed? How many bairns?

"Two girls and a boy," he answered.

"And your wife? She must be beautiful?"

The man set down the barrel and looked up with sad eyes. "Aye, she was."

Balin's face dropped. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean–,"

"Alright come on, enough of this," Dwalin interrupted.

The human took a step to Dwalin. "Why are you in such a hurry?"

"What's it to you?"

"If I am to help you, I must know of your purposes in these lands."

Balin stepped in between the two to break the tension. "We are simple merchants from the Blue Mountains, journeying to see our kin in the Iron Hills. We need food, weapons, and supplies. Can you help us?"

The man made his way back over to the barrels, placing his hand on one. "I know where these barrels came from." He gestured to the scratch marks that scarred the wood. "I don't know what business you had with the elves, but I don't think it ended well. No one enters Lake-town but by lead of the master. All his wealth comes from trade with the Woodland realm. He would see you in irons before risking the wrath of King Thranduil."

The man got into his barge and threw a rope to Balin, Thorin shoved Balin along to keep persuading him. "I'll wager there are ways to enter that town unseen?"

The man gave Balin a smirk. "Aye. But for that you would need a smuggler."

"What's your name good sir?"

"The name's Bard."

"Well Bard, for a smuggler, we will pay you double."

Bard sat in silence, trying to decide if he should accept the offer. He raised his eyes with a daring smile. "Well in that case," Bard he finally spoke, motioning his hand for us to board the barge. "Welcome aboard."