~ eight ~

I finally lifted myself from the cleansing, healing waters and wrapped myself in a thick, soft robe

I finally lifted myself from the cleansing, healing waters and wrapped myself in a thick, soft robe. I walked back into my bedroom and picked up the clothes that were laid out for me. I slowly pulled on the long dress, letting the silky material brush across my legs. I lifted the sleeves over my shoulders and centered the neckline on my chest. I walked to the full length mirror, admiring the complex designs that covered the royal dress.

The hue of the dress was a very pale yellow. Silver lace covered the sleeves so that I could still feel the evening breeze on my skin. Silver embroidered flowers spread across the bust of the dress, continuing down my waist and wrapping around my hips. I finished the elegant outfit with off white flats. They fit much differently than my old boots. My feet felt weightless. I strapped my sword to my waist to be sure I still retained my nonelegant characteristics. I pulled the front ends of my hair back into two braids, letting any loose strands fall to frame my face.

Suddenly I heard a light knocking on my wooden door. I opened it to find Bilbo standing there shyly.

"May I uh escort you to dinner, Milady?" he smiled and bowed.

"You may, my good man." I curtsied with a chuckle.

I linked my arm through his and we began our way to the dining hall. We passed many items of elvish heritage and culture. Grand statues of gold, along with beautiful paintings of nature within Rivendell. I recognized the waterfalls and towering trees. My eyes wandered up and down the hall, taking in as much as I could in the small amount of time I had here in Rivendell.

Eventually, we arrived at the dining hall. A long table extended down the center of the room. My travel mates were picking at the food in front of them. It was easy to tell that they were not familiar with many green foods. I chuckled at the sight and approached the table. I sat myself next to Bofur and across from Kili. I found Kili's warm eyes, though they still remained slightly hidden behind his bangs.

"You look very lovely, Adina," he said softly to avoid teasing from his brothers. He winked and returned his attention to the conversation that was being held. My heart stirred as I smiled bashfully.

"Thank you, kind sir," I nodded with a big grin stretched across my face.

"It is my pleasure, Miss Fallonhide."

The dwarves then began to complain about the music. "Are we at a funeral or what?" Oin exclaimed, holding his earpiece he used for hearing up to his ear. A sickened and annoyed look was expressed on his bearded face.

"Well lads, you know there's only one way to lighten things up a bit!" Bofur stepped onto the tabletop and stood in front of us. He began his song with a low, deep note. The dwarves rustled in their seats ready for their cues to begin singing along. Moments later, every dwarf was banging on the table and ground to the beat. They sang along, pausing to laugh every now and then. Unwanted food began to fly in all different directions. The elves watched with disgusted expressions. The dwarves couldn't care less, so the song continued. I laughed along as I enjoyed the performance bestowed before me.

When the song ended, I heard Gandalf call me, "Adina, would you please come here?"

I rose from my seat and walked towards the table where Gandalf, Bilbo, Thorin, and Elrond sat.

"Adina I would like to introduce you to Lord Elrond. He knew your parents well," Gandalf said. Elrond stood and bowed to me. I returned a slight bow as well while a chair was pulled up for me. I sat down.

"Your parents took refuge here quite often. I had the pleasure of getting to know them and their travels very well. They were brave, and from what I've heard, so are you," he said kindly.

"Well, I am very honored to meet you, Lord Elrond." He smiled for a moment but it quickly disappeared. His eyes were looking down. "Is something the matter?"

"Where did you get that sword?"

"We found them in a troll cave," Gandalf answered for me.

"Do you know what sword that is?" Elrond asked uneasily. We shook our heads. "That sword was created in the fires of the volcano Mount Doom. It was made by Sauron to curse unruly soldiers who disobeyed or betrayed their kingdoms. For every victim slain with the sword, you witness who they hath slain themselves. It was made to cause the soldiers uneasiness and guilt. Its purpose is to distract them from their battles; which usually resulted in the fall of that soldier. Only the most loyal and honorable soldier, who prove themselves, can eventually overcome those visions. You will either fall with the sword or rise above it."

"You're telling me that the people you witness when you had just killed someone are the people they killed in their past?" I asked with a sickening feeling.

"I am afraid so Miss Fallonhide." My vision went dark again. The world spun. I felt sick to my stomach.

"Please, excuse me."

I stumbled away and quickened my pace, moving from the dining hall. I found myself on a stone bridge that was built across one of the rivers. I stopped. I couldn't hold back the burning tears any longer. I collapsed onto the hard surface, crippled over, cradling my face in my hands. My shoulders jerked as I let out restrained sobs. I kneeled there for what felt like hours, letting my anguish pour out of me. I heard footsteps approaching me but I didn't care enough to look. The figure dropped to their knees and wrapped their arms around me. I cried into their chest, they pulled me tighter. Their hand supported the back of my head, resting their head upon mine. I felt safe, for I knew who it was.

I raised my head to find the shy eyes that belonged to Kili. He reached his hand up to my cheek to brush the tears away. He looked at me with concern in his eyes.

"You don't have to tell me. But whatever it is, you don't have to face it alone," he spoke in a whisper. A small, pitiful smile appeared on his face.

I reached my own hand up to grab his, which was still resting on my damp face. I nodded and pressed my forehead to his. Our noses touched. I took many long deep breathes there. He didn't move a muscle. He remained in the very same position as if he didn't want to disturb my comfort. I brought my head down from his and rested it on his chest again. I could hear his heartbeat slow. I followed his breathes as they rose and fell. I gradually began to calm down. We remained there for many minutes, listening to the gentle noises of our surroundings.