~ sixteen ~

"Get up, everyone," Gandalf commanded

"Get up, everyone," Gandalf commanded. My eyes fluttered open. I gradually pushed myself up, propping my body onto my arms that were extended behind me. I lifted my hand to pull my hair from my face and rub the sleep from my eyes. I blinked hard a few times to awaken myself. I gave Kili a slight nudge with my hip. He groaned and rubbed his eyes.

"Good morning, love," he sighed. I listened to the birds chirping outside. The sun shimmered through the surrounding windows. The air was clean and fresh, leaving a cool sensation whenever a breeze passed through the open doors. I smiled to myself.

"Indeed it is." I brushed his messy bangs from his face and looked at him for a moment. He looked back at me. Then his eyes began to move away. He cocked his head as if he were trying to get a better look at something. He looked confused and furrowed his brows.

"What's the matter?" I asked in a concerned tone.

He sat up abruptly and pointed at my leg, "Adina, look!"

I snapped my head to where he was pointing, only to find a massive scar where my wound had previously been. I gasped and slowly brought my fingertips to the scar. I lightly dragged my fingers across it. I felt no pain. I looked back to him.

"Where did you find those herbs?" I asked.

"Not far from here, they were a ways behind the house," he said, still astonished. "I knew of the plant and I knew that it contained healing properties. I had no idea that it was capable of healing flesh entirely."

I tackled him with a hug.

"Thank you," I exhaled. A slight tear fell from my check. "You have no idea how happy I am to be rid of that cursed wound."

"Like I said, only a minor delay," he teased confidently. He finished lacing up his boots and stood up. He offered a hand to me to help me stand. I cocked an eyebrow and smirked. I stood up on my own effortlessly and proudly, relieved to be able to accomplish simple actions and movements without pain anymore. Kili acknowledged my attitude with a laugh.

"Everyone gather over here!" Gandalf ordered and waved us over to a nearby door. A repetitive banging was occurring outside. "Now listen carefully, this situation must be handled delicately. I have no idea how he will react to our traveling party of dwarves."

I became a little uneasy while listening to the sounds coming from beyond the door. Gandalf continued, "Wait for my signal, but come out in pairs! Uh except you Bomber, you count as two. You come out alone. Bilbo and Adina, you walk out with me."

We both nodded and followed. Gandalf steadily opened the door and took slow steps out into the sunny meadow. There stood a massive man swinging an axe, and with every bang, a chunk of wood was split in half. He was very tall and brawny. Several scars coated his bare back and fur protruded from his head, face, chest and back. "Good morning, Beorn!" Gandalf exclaimed. The man's head slowly turned to look at us. His eyes bulged with concern.