~ ten ~

We all sat, staring into the flickering flames until our peaceful thoughts were interrupted by a booming voice

"It's time to go. Pack up quickly, we need to move now," Thorin commanded.

"Kili, what's going on?" I asked, grabbing his forearm.

"We're leaving for the mountain. We are going home." His voice held an innocent tone of excitement. I recalled the stories that the dwarves shared. Kili had never truly been "home". He had only heard stories from Thorin and his mother. All he wanted was to be home.

I began to help the dwarves pack up camp. We started towards the open gates to continue our initial quest.

"Balin, lead on! You know the path better than I," Thorin ordered. His voice echoed off the mountains and continued on through the gorges until we heard it no more.

I looked back to see the gates of Rivendell behind me. Sadness washed over me. I wish we could've stayed longer. Rivendell's beauty and comfort had replenished my physical and mental wounds from our previous travels. The beautiful city had finally brought Kili and I together. Right then I promised myself that I would return to Rivendell with Kili in the future, after we became heroes of Middle Earth of course. I felt a small smile curl across my face as the thoughts passed through my head.

We continued our uphill hike on the rugged terrain of the Misty Mountains. Rivendell shrunk from sight and clouds covered where the city once was. Suddenly the sky above us became very dark and gloomy as if the gates of Rivendell were the only thing keeping these storms away. Rain poured down on our heads while we shuffled by the steep ledge.

"Gahh!" I heard Bilbo yell. I watched his feet slip off the edge. I quickly grabbed the collar of his cloak to slow his fall. Dwalin and Fili helped me pull him back to his feet. He plastered himself to the rocky side of the mountain. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath before he opened them again. He gave me an 'I should've stayed in Rivendell' look.

"We must find shelter! This storm will only get worse!" Balin shouted from the front of the group.

"Watch out!" Dwalin exclaimed. We all turned our heads to see what he was pointing at. A boulder flew across the rocky land and collided with the mountain we stood upon. Rubble showered down on our heads. We all crouched and huddled against the mountain wall, trying to find the slightest bit of safety.

"This is no thunderstorm, it's a thunder battle!" Balin shouted.

"Bless my beard, the legends are true! Giants! Stone giants!" Bofur cried.

I squinted my eyes, attempting to look through the sheet of rain. I raised my head up the length of the mountain to find the figure of a giant upon it. The monster selected a peak to use for his defense. He dug his stony fingers into the mountain across us and lifted it effortlessly. He launched the boulder across the mountain pass. It collided with another giant that appeared behind us. Rock shattered everywhere.