~ two ~

I didn't sleep that night

I didn't sleep that night. All I could think about were those shadows entering Mister Baggins' house. They were all built similarly, broad shoulders and long hair. Some tended to be bigger and some seemed to have bald spots. I just couldn't figure out what the commotion was all about. I flopped down on my bed, trying to come across any conclusion as to what was going on.

Early that morning I heard the sound of hooves clicking across the rough ground. I sprang out of bed to my window to look at what the shadows might have been. Dwarves. They were dwarves. They were short and brawny with long beards and hair. What were they doing in The Shire? I watched them as they passed the houses and noticed that Mister Baggins was not with them. Their encounter with Bilbo seemed too lively to ignore.

In an impulsive rush, I decided to follow them. I threw on the most accessible clothes I had and packed a bag with quick necessities. I raced out the door to Mila. I quickly saddled her, threw my leg over, and rode off. I followed at a good distance behind and to the left of them to avoid suspicion. I was sure to keep a thick line of trees between us.

They led me through the woods, exiting The Shire. I had never been this far out of town before. I had only made trips to neighboring towns to deliver crops harvested by the local farms here. Several moments later I heard a frantic rustling behind me. I found Mister Baggins chasing the horsemen through the forest. I veered more to the left so he wouldn't see me. I don't believe he noticed, he had his mind fixated on something else.

"I'll do it! I'll be your burglar!" He exclaimed. They quickly gave him a paper to sign and a horse. Afterward, they continued on as if nothing happened. I wasn't quite sure how to take this but I knew I still had to remain quiet.

Hearing the men distantly communicate, I figured that they had to be on some sort of quest. I heard something about a stone, a mountain, and these horrendous creatures called orcs. This is what I've been looking for...an exciting change. I followed them for several miles. I eventually became lulled by the sight of endless trees and began to daydream. In consequence of letting my guard down, I noticed that one dwarf was missing from the group. I quickly snapped my head around looking for any sign of him. As my eyes shifted to the far right, I found the dwarf looking at me with friendly, brown eyes. He wore a strange hat and had dark brown hair with two braids in his beard.

"How long have you been following me?!" I asked in a panic.

"I could ask you the same question, Missy," he calmly replied. "Don't worry, you're not in a terrible amount of trouble. The name is Bofur, I will be escorting you to the rest of the group." He trotted forward towards the mass of riders.

"Oh, what have a gotten myself into now," I mumbled to myself. I walked Mila to the horsemen and slowed my pace to match theirs.

"Thorin, I have brought you our little follower," Bofur said proudly.

"Thank you Bofur, return to the rest. Leave me with her," the man named Thorin said coldly. "Why are you following us? And don't think about making up excuses!" He said sternly.

"I'm looking for an adventure, sir. I was curious as to what you were doing in The Shire with my neighbor. I began to follow you and overheard your conversations. Sounds like an adventure to me," I said half shyly, half confidently.

"This is not an adventure for you, leave now." He shifted his attention away from me and to the trail ahead.

"No, I will not turn back... not after I've come this far!"

"You will go back, and that is final!"

"Uh, Thorin? May I speak to you for a moment?" An unfamiliar voice said. After several moments of bickering and hushed yelling, Thorin turned around to face me. I recognized my neighbor standing behind him.

"You can stay, but if you cause any inconvenience you must leave immediately," Thorin assured and turned away.

"You must be Adina," the unfamiliar voice said with a smile. "I'm Bilbo, Bilbo Baggins."