Chapter 5.

Jade

Jade woke with a dull ache in her back and neck. She'd always assumed that at some point her body would get used to a cot. But she was full of shit lying to herself like that. It was crazy to go from a pillow-top mattress to a cot. It didn't make her want cry or anything, but then again, Jade missed the small luxuries of her former life.

She leaned over and pulled Sebastian's blanket up over his shoulder. She found it by chance leaving the shower quarters the night before. Jade exhaled, the old bunker's ac whirling with continual aged groans.

She looked around the small bunker. After Sebastian had fallen asleep, Jade watched Atlas rise and shower. She knew he kept his distance in general from their time in the bunker, but it seemed he was going to keep his distance even now. She was planning on doing the same until she figured out who was truly trustful.

Jade squeezed her lover's hand. It worried her, their future and livelihood out here. It was her fault he was even on this mission. He would've fought Jarrod until the man submitted anyways; but that left her uneasy. Sebastian walked a thin line of sobriety, and it was her job to help him keep clean. It had only been a matter of weeks since he had come clean and sobered up. Her big heart ached.

It was her job to protect him. And for the first time in her life, she feared she  would fail. 

Jade squared her shoulders and steeled her eyes towards the bar. She was small for a young adult, but it didn't stop people from staring as she made her way through the crowded bar. Obviously she was of age, but it was rare to see such a small, young woman alone. Normally, girls traveled in packs. She went over the safety list her friends made her repeat back to them before separating from them. Don't leave with a stranger- one. Don't go to the bathroom with one-two. Don't leave my drink unattended-  three. Text friends every half hour or so to check in- four. 

She ducked through the arms of two intoxicated men who'd stopped to argue in front of their buddies. Jade rolled her eyes and kept moving. She didn't want to be near a fight if one broke out. Who cared which drink got spilt and on whom. Anyone who cared probably had a little dick themselves.

Jade cupped her hands under her breast, pushing them forward, catching the eye of a peeking bar tender. She tucked her wallet under  her arm, drink in hand. She started to make  her way back to into the dancing, hoping to find someone to dance with. Jade turned to the music when she caught a pair of eyes starring at her, a pair of  dark eyes attached to a wicked smile. Normally, she didn't care about men at clubs when they looked at her- they usually led to trouble or were just disgusting men with only sex on their minds. But he was different. He was better dressed than any man she had seen, not a single hair out of place. He stood out like a bright star on a dark night.

Jade stood on her tiptoes to see if she get a better look at him. Trouble. A lot of trouble, but she wanted to something crazy. She had always been the good friend. She wanted to be something else.

"He's fucking hot." A drunk girl whispered into her ear. She saw the girl was starring in the same direction of him, her eyes honing in on her prey. "Heard he is bad news, but I don't care."

Heat rose to her cheeks, and for a moment,  she considered turning away. But a surge of confidence  washed over her caution. She wasn't going to fall back into old habits and be the goody two shoes. "Mine," She said in a determined voice. "And don't drool all over the floor," she added pointedly. Her cheeks flushed in embarrassment of the way she was acting.

He raised his eyebrows at her approach, glancing to the crowd around them.  "You seem lost, kitten." He purred, dark eyes looking on her.