Chapter 1~

"This is it [y/n]! New school, new life, new you!" My dad opened the door to his place. You see, my mum recently passed away and I had to move in with my dad. 

Lifting my head to take a look around, I eased into the situation. The start of a new school year, senior year I might add - and having to tell everyone that I don't have a soul-mark and be bullied all over again.

Life is fantastic.

Dad stepped through the door and swung out his arm presenting the humble household. He explained that since it was a one-bedroom house, I could re-decorate the attic since it was big enough to be a room.

I sighed re-adjusting the bag strap on my shoulder as he pulled down the attic ladder, a small cloud of dust followed after it.

"Haven't put anything up there so it's just dirty. I'll help you clean it out before you put your stuff in" Dad coughed a bit and waved his hand in feeble attempt to get rid of the dust. He left to unload more boxes and things out of the truck while I stayed and climbed the ladder.

Each step seemed to creak, that's gonna scare me at night. Finally reaching the top I climbed into the attic. I squinted a bit until my eyes adjusted to the darkness of the room. I walked over to a blocked window and started to pull away the planks.

"Why would you plank up the attic window?" I questioned aloud, nearly losing my balance when I pulled the wooden plank free from the glass. I quickly wiped my hands down on my jeans and made my way to the gap in the window. 

Before me was a beautiful view of the neighbourhood and a park not to far from here, if I squinted i could see a group of people throwing around a ball over a net. "Volleyball?" I mumbled.

"What was that hun?" I yelped as dad walked back up with a tool box and cleaning supplies. "Oh, sorry didn't mean to scare ya!" He laughed as he put the things down. I watched as he walked around, as if he were looking for something.

"Found it!" 

I heard a clicking sound and soon everything was visible. Dad had found a light switch of some description and turned it on, letting the entire room be seen. I smiled as he brought over a hammer and pointing to the window. I happily took it and continued to pull off the planks.

I assumed [d/n] was sweeping because all I could smell was dust and all I could hear were the motions of the broom and coughing. Removing the last plank, I opened the window - hoping the wind would circle out the extra dust particles.

I pulled my phone out of my bag and put on some family-friendly tunes because even though I'm a senior in high school, dad would totally kill me for most of the songs and tracks I listen to. I swiftly grabbed the other broom and swept the floor making the process of cleaning go a little faster.

Dad had already grabbed the dustpan by the time I had made the last dirt pile. 

"Woo! I'm gonna go make something to eat for us, you gonna stay up here?" Dad wiped the dirt off his forehead only to smudge it more. I giggled and replied that I was going to continue cleaning for a bit. He shrugged and climbed down to probably take forever in the kitchen.

I sighed looking around there was some things the other owners had left here, before dad moved in. I strolled to the furniture and found a chest of drawers, without thinking to much about it I opened up a draw - it wasn't like I was hoping something would be there, but I found myself a little disappointed that they were all empty.

Just because, I opened the last draw, but instead of it opening it stayed closed. I grumbled as I realised it was locked and you need a key to open it. I groaned as I knew whatever was in there remained a mystery. I began to push the draws to the side of the room where it's out of the way but accessible to get out of the attic.