#Chapter 7

'Bastard' is the first word l think of after that douche bag Jessie tells me that he does have a car. And the way he smirked after declaring he fooled me...l have to resist a lot to not to punch him on his face. He'd actually look handsome with a broken nose.

The things l should do at the moment-

1. Acting like l already knew that he has a car but i was just teasing him.  That way l won't have to admit that l was fooled by a fool.

2. Telling him that he has betrayed me by lying and all the emotional drama.

3. Getting really mad at him and yell at him.

But honestly, l don't feel like doing any of it.  lt's too predictable. And what if he fooled me? l really don't give a shit. He's looking at me with his twinkling mischeivous eyes and the anger for him in my mind begins to fade. 

l let out a laugh. lt's honest and comes out natuarally.

'Oh Jessie,' l say trying to get that mischeivous, teasing look on my face, 'trying hard to get me, huh?'

And then he laughs too.

'l have to. You're difficult.'

'Anything that makes me different than those desperate barbie dolls is good, so i'll take 'difficult' as a compliment.'

After a minute or two, we both realize that maybe it's time for him to leave. 

'l'd better go.' he says.

'Ok.'

'l...' he has to say something but he hesitates.

'What?'

'l...just forget it. See you tomorrow.'

' 'night, Jessie Carter.'

And then he turns around and opens the door. l stand there watching him walking away. Just when l'm about to close the door, he turns around.

'Wanna go for a short drive?'

A short drive? At this time, it's even later than late. Plus, we both have school tomorrow. But these are minor problems. The real question is, do l really want to go?  This time won't come again. Tommorow, we'll keep moving on. We'll keep doing what we've been doing. Sometimes, it's better to not to think too much. Besides mom will think that l went to drop him home.

'Sure' l say, but l try hard to make it sound dry.

Jessie's car is an old model. l assume that it's second hand, but l'm surprised at how smoothly it runs on the narrow roads of our sleepy  town. 

'How do you like my baby, Sawyer?' he asks me as he pats the steering wheel.

'You're car is surprisingly good.' l tell him looking at the street lights on the dark empty streets. l've lived my whole life in this town, but it's the first time l realize that how peaceful it is at night. And there's nothing scary about it. 

'Julie likes you too.'  

l'm not surprised that this thing has a name. 

'Does she talk to you?'

'Then how do you think she told me that she likes you?' he says like it's as simple as 2+2=4.

'Well, tell the lady that l'm grateful about it.' l smile while saying this but l thank the dim street lights later because we both can't see each other's faces clearly.

Jessie turns on the music player as it gets quiet between us. It's a comfortable kind of silence, though.

l lay my head back down and close my eyes as l here a soothing kind of music playing. The song seems familiar but l can't recognize it yet. l wait for the lyrics.

'settle down with me
cover me up
cuddle me in
lie down with me
hold me in your arms...'

lt just takes me some seconds to realize that the song is 'kiss me' by Ed Sheeran. Some kind of weird current goes through my body. l open my eyes and hurridly stop the music. My heart is beating a little faster than usual and l mentally try to scold it for doing that.  l can feel Jessie looking at me confused even in the dark. l uncomfortably look out from the window.

'Why did you stop the song? You've got a a really cold heart if Ed Sheeran doesn't make you feel anything.'

That's the problem, l say in my mind. Wait, what?

'No, it's just...' l fail to say something solid.

'You're cute.' he suddenly blurts out. lt sounds like he's smiling while talking.

'Excuse me?'

'You stopped the song because you were afraid that you'd get in a romantic mood and who knows, you'd might even kiss me.'

'Excuse me?' l repeat. 'l was afraid that you'll get romantic and kiss me.'

He smirks at that. l could see that because we were right under the brightest street light when he did it.

'l don't really need a song for that.'

l. Hate. That. Bastard. l feel hot blood rushing through my ears. l curse myself for coming with Jessie.

'l want to go home.'

'Why so angry? Okay, okay, l'm sorry.' he pleads. 'although l don't know what did l do wrong.' he mutters under his breath, but l can still hear it through the silence.

'It's really late Jessie.  We'll go again for a drive sometime. Please let's just go home now.'

l'm not sure l'll ever go anywhere with him again.

'Okay.' he says unwillingly.

l'm in my room within 15 minutes. l haven't changed or even brushed my teeth. l just don't feel like doing anything tonight. l lie in my cozy bed buried in warm blankets. l try hard to fall asleep. l shut my eyes tightly as if it's going to make me fall asleep more quickly. l shift from side to side trying to find a comfortable position. At last after about 20 minutes, l find myself lying on my back, staring in the dark where there's supposed to be the roof of my room and l'm wide awake. No matter how hard l try, l just can't get those words out of my mind. 'You're cute', 'l don't really need a song for that.'...l just knew that Jessie honestly meant it when he said that. He wasn't flirting. And that's the problem. l'm worried for him. Why just can't he go for an easier option? There are so many girls in and out of the school who might like to date him. 

But then again, maybe it's for the same reason l don't want Mandy to date Jake. The world out there is too fake and too dumb. Jessie is too smart for them. l want him to get a girl he deserves to get. l just don't want that girl to be me.

<
<
<

Exactly 1111 words!!!