#Chapter 6

l try for days to ignore Jessie, but it's hard to neglect someone who's practically with you like your shadow for all the day and people start to wonder why are you ignoring that particular person when they are actually very nice to you. The only time when he is not with me is during the classes l don't have with him. So finally, l give up which l already knew that l eventually would, but at least l have a feeling that l've tried my best.

      lt would have been better, you know, if he was like any other person with at least a little bit amount of self esteem, because after all the times l insult him, yell at him, next day he appears in front if me like nothing ever happened. And what troubles me the most is he doesn't pretend that he doesn't care. What l say to him affects him a lot and he doesn't hide that he's hurt, but he never says anything back or fights with me like he used to. And that's the problem. The way he acts, gives me a feeling that he is a saint and l'm acting like a totally crazy bitch (which l actually might be). l feel guilty about my behavior when l really should not because he's the one trying to force his friendship on me.

      But when this all becomes too tiresome, l decide to give up. One day, after the rehersals walking to the car with him, l confront it. Directly.

      'l give up, Jessie.' Nothing more, nothing less. Anyone else wouldn't have been able to understand, but of course this guy does because he is what he calls 'unconventionally smart'.

      He just smirks and says,

      'You tried your best.'

      Like it were some difficult task l had been trying to do and failed. But then again, it was. And did he just try to make me feel better about failing it? l'm sure his heart is about to burst out of his ribcage, jumping with joy.

<

<

<

      l'm having dinner with my mom (dad'd out of the town for some business trip) when l get a text message from Jessie.

      Jessie: Can l come over?

       Me: No.

      Jessie: Why not?

      Me: lt's late.

      Jessie: You don't need to worry about that.

      Me: Mom's home.

      Jessie: l'm not going to hook up with you ;)

      Of course he's not.  l wouldn't let him.

      Me: Why do you want to come?

      Jessie: Bored.

      Me: Watch TV.

      Jessie: l am watching TV.

      Me: Continue.

      Jessie: We can watch it together at yours.

      Me:  Stop it. Nononononono!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

      'Who's it, Sawyer? ' mom suddenly asks breaking the silence. It is so unexpected that l jump on my sit. 'You've been texting for a long time. Do l have to remind you that texting while eating is not allowed?'

      'Sorry, mom.' l say, keeping the phone away from myself. 

      'Was it Mandy?'

      Should l lie? But then again, what for? Jessie is not my boyfriend. There's nothing to hide.

      'No.'

      Mom raises her eyebrows. 

     'Jessie Carter.' l tell her.