Chapter 14: It's Detective Time

Third Person's POV:

"AHHHHH!!!" everyone jolted upwards, gasping hard while trying to catch their breath. It was morning, which marked the end of the slumber party. "What..." Louie gasped, "The heck, was that?!?!" "I-I don't know..." Lilly said, hugging her knees and rocking back and forth. "Darn it, Huey!" Webby exclaimed, as she shot a clearly exasperated glare at him. "Don't blame this on me, I don't control my dreams!" Huey countered. "Guys, stop fighting! It won't get us anywhere." Violet screamed. "Couldn't have said it better myself..." Kendra muttered, holding Lilly close in a comforting embrace. "This is not just a dream, but a premonition..." Violet said, "We can't just sit around and do nothing, we have to prepare for the inevitable." "So, what does that mean?" Louie asked. "It means it's detective time." Dewey smirked. "More like Ducktective time!" Webby smiled, and attacked Dewey in a side hug. Dewey laughed at his girlfriend's quirkiness, and returned the gesture by lightly nuzzling the side of her head. "Can it, lovebirds!" Louie exclaimed, but couldn't help feeling a little jealous of his brother's relationship. "So, where do we start?" Kendra asked. "A vision board!" Webby exclaimed, standing up to grab the craft supplies from the previous night. "I've made one for Scrooge McDuck and The Sphere of Selene! I've gathered all the information on the two, and now I know everything about them." Webby said, grinning. "Yeah, not creepy at all..." Kendra said, grabbing a posterboard placing it in front of the gang. Webby handed them all a basket of permanent markers, each duck grabbing their signature color. Kendra wrote 'The Mystery of Duckburg High: 2022' in hot pink at the top center. "Alright, first things first, suspects." Violet said, writing it in purple in the left hand corner. Louie coughed, "Drake..." Webby gave him the death stare (most likely she inherited from her grandmother), Louie put his hands up in defense. "We were all thinking it..." he countered. "I told you guys, I trust him, he seems to have changed." Webby said. "What if you're wrong, Webby?" Louie asked. Webby said nothing, "I trust, Webby." Dewey said, placing a hand on her shoulder, causing her to blush. Louie rolled his eyes, "All those who are against Drake, say 'I!'" "I!" Huey, Louie, and Kendra responded. "I'm also with Webby!" said Lilly "What about you, Vi?" "I'm neutral, I barely know this duck, but I do know he has weird antics, and I cannot not come up with a concrete decision until I have more proof." "How's this for proof, Drake's a kidnapper!" Louie snarled. Violet rolled her eyes, she simply thought Louie was exaggerating. "For the sake of our argument, let's go ahead and put Drake down, since some of us agree." Huey mediated. "Fine." Webby groaned, opening her periwinkle marker and writing his name. "Anyone else?" Violet asked. "Josephine Capercaillie." Lilly said. "Oh, definitely," everyone agreed in unison. They also wrote down Magica de Spell due to Lena's suggestion. Webby still wasn't feeling the comments about Drake, she stood up "Just to prove Drake has changed, I'm going to be inviting him to a dinner party! Here at the mansion!" Webby announced "You're all invited as well! Now c'mon downstairs so we can have breakfast!" Webby stood up, and marched out of her room. "She serious?" Kendra asked. Dewey nodded, "Once she's mad, determination comes too..." "She's been filled with determination." Lilly laughed, trying to add some kind of playful banter.

*********

Eating breakfast in silence just made things a whole lot tenser. Scrooge, Beakley, and Donald sat at one end of the table, while the teeagers sat at the other end. Donald let out an exaggerated cough to break the silence, "So, did you all have fun last night?" The teens groaned simultaneously, "Oh, of course, best night ever..." Louie emphasized. "Little heavy on the salt, eh Louie..." Kendra muttered, eating a pancake. "Well excuuuuse me, Kendra." Beakley was tired of the stiff tension, "Alright, that's enough!" she announced, "What is going on?" Louie spoke without hesitation, "Webby-" "I want to invite Drake to a dinner party." Webby shared, giving Louie another death stare, "Y'know, to show some hospitality." Scrooge choked on his tea, "Ah, Webbigail. Ah appreciatiate you trying to show kindness to an old friend..." "More like foe..." Louie muttered, causing him a kick in the shin from Dewey. "But Ah'm not so sure about him coming here..." "Why, are you afraid he might steal something from you?" "Webbigail!" Beakley hissed. Webby's determination faltered a bit, but she stood her ground. "It's not about that, Webbigail," Scrooge said, "Not a whole lot, at least, the only thing that matters is protecting my family." Kendra gave an exaggerated cough, "Ok... I can see where this matter is going. Mr. McDuck, thank you for hospitality, Mrs. B, thank you for an awesome pancake breakfast, we'll be going now." She got up, and pulled Lilly out of her chair as well, "Kendra..." Her friend just kept dragging her along, "Thank you!" Lilly called, they went back upstairs to change. "Same for me, thank you." Violet left her seat, and followed the others. "Great, now you've frightened our guests!" Webby sighed. "Webbigail, I do not appreciate your tone of voice." Beakley stated. "I'm sorry, Granny, but I don't understand, why won't you let me invite him?" Webby asked. "I don't trust him!" Beakley exclaimed. "Do you trust me? I clearly trust him, you don't even know him that well!" "Webbigail, that's enough. Upstairs..." Beakley siad, voice hallowing. "But Granny..." "Upstairs..." Webby huffed, trying to hold back her own tears as she left the dining room along with her grandmother. The atmosphere was still left tense, "The pancakes are delicious!" Donald said. "Not helping, Uncle Donald." Huey said, facepalming. "I'll think about it." said Scrooge, "Maybe he does deserve a second chance."

For the first time in awhile, it's a short chapter. The next chapter will not be as short as this one. Do you have a list of suspects to contribute to the story? Is Drake still untrustworthy as the others think he is, or could Webby be right, and he does deserve a second chance? Stick around to find out, signing of for now...

~Starlight Story