A baby?!

"You're only six weeks along, so you are at high risk of miscarriage but hopefully everything will be okay. I'll let you have a moment to think."

He left the room, allowing me to reel in the news. A baby. Pregnant. The one night stand.

"Lu?" Avery sounded timid, scared.

I just carried on taking in the bright white walls around me. Trying to focus on something other than the fact I was knocked up by some idiot from a one night stand.

"It's his isn't it?"

She remembered?

"Yes." It was barely a whisper, as the tears started flowing down my cheeks. I uncontrollably shook in her arms as she reached over to hug me.

I always wanted children, but not like this. I wanted it with someone who loved me.

"What you gonna do?"

I was not getting rid of it. Despite the complicated situation, this was a human life. I always wanted children one day too.

"I can't get rid of it Ave." I shook my head, adamant with my decision. 

"I know, but have a think about it please? I'm sensitive on the subject, you know I am, but at least have time to get your head around this before you start trying to contact him."

"I will, don't worry."

She was right. I needed to seriously think about what was going on before I tried to tell him.

How would I tell him? I didn't have his number, I vaguely remembered his street name so what did I do?

Painfully, my head began banging like a drum. Jesus was someone performing a concert in there?

Surprisingly, I admitted that I needed to go home and rest. Usually I would want to stay at work, but right now I needed to sort my head out.

"Did he say when I could leave? I mean if there's nothing else I know I can go." I am a doctor of course.

"I'll go find him to double check."

As she did that, I sorted out my things - which wasn't much as I still had all my clothes on. I paced the room waiting for the doctor, trying not to sniff the awful smell of hospitals. I always think it smells like cleaning products. But also 'medically', sounds strange, but the smell of a hospital is like no other. It has its own unique aroma.

I kept getting my hopes up every time I head the squeaking of shoes, or noticed the green curtain move slightly from someone walking past blowing it.

I perched myself on the edge of the bed, only just realising how cold it must be at night with the tiny thin sheet covering patients. Despite working here, you don't realise the little things sometimes.

"Dr Lucy, you're free to go. Let's remove your cannula first then you can be on your way. I recommend at least a week off work please. I believe the sickness - from your hormones - is making you this faint. It's best to relax and reduce the risk of fainting again."

A week?! I could not sit at home and let my mind wander for a week.

"Is that really necessary? I'm a doctor and I know it's not."

"Lucy, try not to examine yourself. I'm telling you that you need to stay home. Maybe it's not completely necessary, but you need to be fit and healthy here you can't risk it."

He was right, which left me speechless. I couldn't say anything without sounding silly.

"A weeks rest, then back as normal. Of course if it seems to be getting worse I would recommend seeing a doctor. That doesn't mean asking yourself Lucy, okay?"

I rolled my eyes because he knew I would. Why see one when I am on? But I suppose he is right. It's not good to diagnose yourself as a doctor.

I hopped up off the bed giving the doctor a farewell as Avery and I walked to my locker. The corridors were wide, blue tiled floor, with more white walls. The place gave me the shivers unless I was at work. Funny how the place freaks me out, but when I'm working here I'm fine.

Quickly collecting everything I needed from my locker, which wasn't much, we headed straight out to our cars.

"Do you want me to come back with you?" Avery was great company, and I could really do with a friend right now, yet I just wanted to be alone.

"Maybe later? I just need to sit on my own for a bit. Think it all through." I looked down sheepishly at the metallic blue paint on my Audi.

"Sure, I'll text you. Please don't stress too much Lucy. Everything will be okay." She smiled, and pulled my body for a hug. She was being way too optimistic, wait till I had to tell Bax, would she say that then?
Yeah, I don't think so.

—————

Once I was back at home, I made a cup of tea to cuddle up with on the sofa. It was quite dark out, so I switched the tv on for a little bit of light, but sat with it muted as I thought about my options. I knew I had to tell him. He has rights to his child, but how do I go about it? Do I go to his house? Do I try find him online and ask to meet? Jesus, do I write a fucking letter? I've never done this before. Then what do I do if he doesn't believe me? I slept with him too willingly that night, what if he thinks I do that a lot and I'm just saying it's his because he has money.

My mind had started to go erratic. Completely mad. I'd been sat for a whole hour now considering all these options, and problems that might occur. Maybe I should ask Avery what to do, she might even come with me if I choose the option of going to his house. Could I do that? Turn up at his house expecting him to invite me in freely?

Ergggggg! I was done with thinking. I wanted sleep. I would go to sleep, and when I woke in the morning I'd feel more fresh.

Only when I got up from the chair the nausea rolled through me again, leaving me to rush upstairs - almost tripping - just to make it to the toilet in time.
I guess telling Bax is the least of my worries right now.