Took the one

Nightmares replaced my dreams that night. Stan's face just before the elevator closed seared into my mind. His wrinkled eyes looked desperate. "No other hope," he'd said and he meant it. But I couldn't do...I couldn't be what they needed.

I woke Monday morning and stared at my ceiling waiting for my alarm. A lone beam of light streamed through the crack in the curtains. I stretched my fingers and played with his light as it shined on my face. Finally my phone buzzed. I shaved, threw on a light green shirt and locked the place up. I'd be early today, but I had a lot to make up for.

I stepped onto my floor and blinked. Several people froze and blinked back at me. Some were perched on ladders and others were frantically inflating white and gold balloons. I couldn't understand but then I saw the banner. Printed in white across a black background, and surrounded by gold foil stars were the words "Congratulations Thresh."

So it was official. I dropped my bag by the door and stepped towards the group trying to get the banner straight. In fairness, Mr. Klingston made the right choice, and I couldn't be mad at Thresh for accepting. I'd do the same thing. Besides the big boss himself, Thresh is the only other person I respect enough to let them give me orders.

"Mind if I help?" I asked the group closest to the door.

"Yeah, sure," the girl glanced around nervously.

Mary inflated another balloon. "You're early," she said. I couldn't place her tone.

"Yeah," I muttered and stretched to pin the banner in the ceiling.

"Actually I'm surprised you're here at all, since it means nothing to you." She mumbled. Ah, that's it. She's pissed.

I didn't speak because I had nothing more to say. She was right. I didn't care about my job anymore. I showed up out of habit, partially, and partially because it would be a good warm up in case Stan's crazy plan actually had a chance. "A snowball's chance in hell," the man would say, and he'd think that was a good shot.

Moments after we finished setting up all the decorations someone shouted, "They're coming!" We rushed to grab a confetti pop and crowded around the elevator doors. The light dinged. I held my breath. A crooked smile pulled across my lips. I was genuinely happy for my friend, or ex-friend... I was genuinely happy for him.

An oxford shoe stepped onto the carpet. We all pulled the cord. Confetti flew everywhere.

"What the--"

"SURPRISE!" some shouted. "Congratulations!" Others yelled.

We laughed at the resulting blare of noise. Thanks to the banner, Thresh got the message.

"Thank you all," He grinned like a celebrity and blushed a little. Mr. Klingston patted his shoulder and said something but it was too loud to hear. Then Thresh caught my gaze. His smile disappeared. I squeezed through the crowd, making my way to him. He didn't try to come to me but didn't run away either.

"Congratulations!" I shouted so he could hear. 

He squinted suspiciously. 

"I mean it." I added.

"Thanks." He said and turned to shake someone's hand. So he was pissed too.

Defeated, I walked back to my desk and started working while everyone else still partied. Anyone who didn't know probably thought I was desperately trying to usurp Thresh's promotion and become Mr. Klingston's favorite again. But he never liked me to begin with.

Mary set a piece of the cake on my desk and left without saying anything. I hoped however this ended they would forgive me someday. Of course, if I lose, their memories of me would be collected anyway so...

By the end of the day I'd caught up on my projects. Stan was right. It came back to me, but he still had no idea how complicated it would be to un-encrypt, understand, then rewrite a new program for a centuries old agency. Not to mention the alarms that I'd accidentally set off. Plus the odds of actually finding the host computer in a labyrinth of computers...Sweat pooled at my temples.

It was 6pm already. Without realizing it, the workplace emptied. I grabbed my jacket and waited in the musty underground for the next train headed to Stan's neighborhood. Glancing around out of boredom my eyes flashed to an older woman. She looked familiar. I inched closer. Glenda!

A pen fell from her purse. I picked it up and tapped her shoulder.

"Excuse me, you dropped this," I said. 

She spun around, the familiar frown set in her face. 

"Huh? Oh." She took the pen and looked in my eyes. I smiled and waited for the gleam of recognition when she saw who I was. It never came.

"Thank you." She said and turned back around.

Sure, we weren't supposed to meet in the real world, but if we accidentally bumped into each other...What's the harm in saying hello? We stepped onto the train together.

"You look familiar." I said, and tried to force her out of character. "Haven't we met before?"

She grabbed a handrail even though several people offered her their seat.

"I don't recall." She answered coldly. She was good at pretending to not remember. Or...I looked at her closely. Stubbornly, she held my gaze. She...really didn't recognize me. Mind wipe. I panicked and glanced around. They could be anywhere. I have to get to Stan. I have to warn him. We have to run.

I bounced in front of the door as the train crawled to a stop. It took several more agonizing seconds for the doors to open, then I was running. I climbed the stairs, taking two sometimes three at a time. I couldn't wait for the single. I darted between cars. Drivers honked and flipped their fingers.

I tripped over a lady and her dog and stumbled under the awning for Stan's apartment. 

"Got a date?" An old man called.

I held the buzzer for Stan's apartment but no one answered. The man peeked over my shoulder at the panel. His eyebrows crunched together.

"Can I help you?" He asked, slightly annoyed.

"No, I'm fine." I said. My leg twitched as I held the button.

"Then do you mind lettin' up on my doorbell?" 

I spun around. Stan.

He laughed, "I can't let you in right now."

"STAN!" I accidentally yelled. I grabbed his arm and pulled him a couple steps. "We have to go. They got Glenda. It's not safe."

"What are you--" He chuckled and put his foot down.  We jerked to a stop. "Listen, son, if you're in trouble, let's get you some help."

I saw it. A tan, stained apron was tied around his waist. Pinned to his chest was a nametag. "Douglas." His eyes were guarded as when you meet someone for the first time. But there was a kindness that wasn't there before. Ignorance is bliss, Glenda had said.

Stan had been stolen.

I backed away in disbelief.

"You okay, hun?" Stan's wife stepped onto the terrace. "You look like you've seen a ghost."

They laughed. I swallowed but I wanted to scream. At least they were together.

People passed around us. The buildings to our left and right were full. So many lives. So much at risk. My eyes settled on Stan.

"If you had a cure that could save everyone you loved but cost you you're life, would you do it?"

Stan snorted and looked at Lucinda. "I suppose I would. After all, we're talking about saving the world. I'd be thrilled that it only cost my life."

I bit my lip and nodded.

"Do you want to come in and have a seat?" Lucinda offered. Her name tag read "Grace."

Shaking my head, I stepped away. "Some other time. There's something I have to do."