And be one traveler

Ethan sighed as he knocked on the wall of my cubicle. I slowly twisted my chair around. His eyes popped for a quick second and he took a step back when he saw my face. I stared and waited for him to recover.

"Uhm," he said and cleared his throat. "I've been your intern for awhile, so I know you know what you're doing. Okay?"

I blinked. This is a long Monday.

"But...I checked the report you sent me, you know, like I always do. But this time..." He leaned in. "There were a few...mistakes?"

I blinked again.

"I—I made some comments on the document so—"

"I'll take a look," I said.

"GREAT!" He shouted and clasped his hands while backing away. "Sorry! Again."

"You're good." I answered and turned toward my desk. I took a sip of the cold coffee from this morning. Was this my 6th cup? "And thanks." I tried my best to be cordial. If there are mistakes, I really am glad someone found them before I sent the document for approval.

"Really? I mean, yeah! Yeah. Of course. No problem. Bye! I mean, I'll still be here, in the office. It's only, like noon, but just, you know, not here like right here...Okay bye." He scurried away.

I skimmed the document, checking and rechecking the areas he marked. Sure enough. Seven errors. That's more mistakes than I usually make all year. I'm losing my touch. I can not lose my touch. I bet the moment I lose my job they'll collect my mind.

"Hey Seneca," Mary said with her inside voice. I turned around. "How are you-woah!" She wasn't as good at hiding her shock.

"I couldn't sleep." I explained.

"Uh-huh," she said as her eyes darted around the room, avoiding direct eye contact.

"I just neded more coffee," I said and grabbed the empty cup and walked past her.

"I was headed that way too. I'll go with ya," she chirped.

A pair of friends passed us, sharing jokes about their wives as they left from the breakroom. My feet dragged as I crossed the room to the espresso machine. I shoved the cup under the spout and stretched my finger toward the start button.

"Woah woah woah," Mary said and covered the panel with her hand. "How many have you had."

"I don' know," I slurred. It's not even time for lunch yet my head felt like it was swimming. I wish I could fall asleep standing, like a horse or...

"You're gonna heave a heart attack."

"Mary," I cocked my head toward her. "Look at me. I. Need. This. Or I'll be fired."

She crumpled her lips but she knew I was right.

"Fine." She said and pulled her hand away then leaned against the counter behind her. She was mad at me.

"Besides," I shrugged, "you know CPR. You can keep me alive."

"I'd rather use the defibrillator," she grumbled.

I snickered. We waited in silence as casual sounds of office life filtered into the room. I may have closed my eyes a bit and drifted to sleep until the soft chime of the espresso machine announced my next cup of salvation was ready. I held the button and the silky, caramel liquid ebbed into my cup. Steadily the scent wafted to my nose sending a hit of dopamine but the cup was barely a quarter full. This thing is so slow...