Chapter Five

It was strange to Fiama, walking towards Jeraf's cabin in broad daylight, especially without the intent of changing and heading out to patrol the roads. But it was the easiest and quickest solution she could think of in the little time she had. She also knew Jeraf would do well to play along, and she'd explain all she needed to when the week was over.

"What is this place?" Ziedas asked carefully as they approached the cabin.

Smoke was billowing from the chimney on the roof, a welcome sign that Jeraf was home and Fiama wouldn't have to track him down. "I told you, I was taking you to someone who can help you meet your vigilante."

"He lives here?"

Fiama choked on a laugh. "Oh— gods no, this isn't... No, no no, I'm taking you to see the castle's head stablehand." And then as a quick afterthought, "He seems to know everyone."

"And this stablehand, he'll be able to take me to meet the vigilante?"

"Or at least point you in the right direction." It was hard for Fiama to hide her grin, not only for the irony of the situation but the position it was going to put Jeraf in when he realized the purpose of their unexpected visit.

She'd apologize later.

They were quiet as they approached the door, both for their own reasons. Fiama was trying to work through a plan that would get her out of this as quickly as possible. She could only imagine what was running through Ziedas' pretty head. A knock broke the silence and Fiama thought she heard murmurs of voices on the other side. Odd, Jeraf didn't normally have guests, and if he did Fiama had one more thing to tease him for later.

The grin was no longer hidden as the door opened, and the surprised look on her best friend's face was worth it.

"Fi— I mean, Princess Fiama. This is an unexpected visit," Jeraf managed to get out as he realized Fiama wasn't alone.

"It is, and quite an urgent matter, if you don't mind letting us in."

"I, uh..."

Jeraf was stalling, which was extremely out of character and immediately made Fiama suspicious. "Are we interrupting?"

"Maybe," Jeraf murmured.

Before Fiama could inquire further, a familiar yet unexpected voice called from within the cabin. "Don't keep your guests standing on the doorstep on my account, Cousin."

Fiama felt the blood rush from her head. "Timin," she whispered. She had completely forgotten he arrived at the same time Ziedas rushed in.

"I'm sorry," Jeraf mouthed silently before stepping aside. Outloud he said, "Timin, you remember Fiama."

Timin seemed to have jumped from his chair as Fiama stepped over the threshold, the princess tossing Jeraf a sideways glance before plastering on her most royal smile at his cousin. "Timin, it is so wonderful to see you again."

"The pleasure is mine, Princess," he said as he knelt at her feet, taking her hand between his and placing a sincere kiss on the back of her palm.

His lips lingered against her skin a moment longer than expected, and Fiama was unable to keep the blush from her cheeks. Timin was not an unkind man, coming from the side of Jeraf's family that preferred royal banquets and diplomacy rather than tending to the land and caring for livestock. The noble's dark blond hair was tied behind his head with a red satin ribbon to match the detail on his embroidered jacket, and his bright blue eyes, so full of hope and expectancy, met Fiama's dark gaze in a way that made her chest tighten.

No, Timin was not an unkind man. But he was still a man...

The clearing of a throat snapped Fiama from her reverie. She first looked at Jeraf, but his attention remained on her blonde companion that still lingered in the doorway. Stepping away from Timin and his warm lips and his soft hands, Fiama motioned to the Emissary's daughter.