Resignation

"Demi, whats wrong? Are you okay?" I heard him ask. I wiped my eyes again, trying to stop the tears that were pouring out. I sucked in a deep breath before speaking.

"I-is Marissa here? I need to talk to her," I mumbled out to her boyfriend as I stood out in the pouring rain, shivering.

"Here, Demi, get inside, it's freezing. Let me grab you a blanket, and I will go grab Mar," he said while stepping outside, placing his hand on my back, and moving me inside. I stood there soaking wet in the middle of the foyer, while Derek went, and disappeared in the back to grab Marissa. Derek was Marissa's boyfriend. They met shortly after Marissa and I moved out here to New York City. As I stood there waiting for Marissa, I could feel my body shaking. My arms were wrapped tightly around myself. I was standing there trying not to move. Marissa, eventually emerged from the hallway in a full on sprint with a blanket in her arms. She wrapped the blanket around me, and hugged me tight.

"Demi, what happened? Is it Wilmer? Did you guys break up?" She asked question after question. I just stood there with my arms around her, squeezing her tight. My head fell to her shoulder, and I stayed there crying, for what felt like eternity.

"Marissa, it is b-bad." I said in between sobs as I leaned my body back from our embrace, and was looking at her.

"What happened, Demi?" She asked again. Marissa was using her firm voice, I think she was just scared. I detached from her, and began to pace back and forth in the living room. She just watched me with worried eyes.

"I mean, I don't get it. I dont know who sent those pictures. I dont know where they came from. I-I didn't even do anything wrong. Who even took those pictures? Was someone following me? Was it someone I knew? Was it someone I -" I said with my arms flying all over the place, just as I was cut off.

I felt Marissa's arms grabbing my shoulders, and shaking me. "What pictures? Demi, What happened!" She said as she got closer to my face. I stopped, and looked deep into Marissa's eyes.

"Pictures of Mr. Jonas and I in Central Park." I said while I snapped my head up, looked over to Marissa, and swallowed hard. She just looked at my even more confused. I went and sat down on the couch that was to my right. I leaned forward, and rested my elbows on my legs. My hands came up to my forehead, and I let out a deep breath. Marissa came over, sat next to me, and wrapped her arm around me. I looked up over at her with sad eyes.

"Demi, its ok. Just tell me what happened." She said as she gave me a warm encouraging smile.

I let out a deep sigh once more. "Let me start from the beginning, okay?" I asked as I looked over at her. She nodded her head, and waited for me to continue. "You know that I have been very curious about Mr. Jonas lately. I feel like he has been nothing, but suspicious. I just needed some answers. The other day you had told me about how you saw Mr. Jonas over at the hospital, do you remember that?" I asked as I looked over at her.

"Yah, I remember that." She said with a slight nod.

"Well, the next day, he sent me out to deliver an envelope, and then told me that he would be out for the remainder of the afternoon. He told me that once I delivered the envelope, I was free for the rest of the day. As he began to walk in the opposite direction of where he sent me, I decided to go ahead and follow him. I wanted to see what he was up to. Maybe that was a mistake, but I just needed some answers." I said as I paused to take a breath.

"What did you see?" She asked very curiously.

"Well, I followed him to the hospital. I decided to follow him inside, expecting him to be visiting some family member or having a doctor visit, but what I saw was him working with sick kids. Come to find out, he spends a few hours a week going in to visit kids who are battling cancer. Something happened and he ended up seeing me in there, watching him. The kids all wanted me to stay, so I actually ended up spending the afternoon with him and the kids. Once we were done at the hospital, he asked to go take a walk in the park. He said that he had to talk to me about something." I said while still looking at Marissa.