Stray (Jason)

Ages:

Damian - 14

Jason - 9

Dick - 5

Damian hated this. Usually he at least had Timothy to shove one child on to, but today, he had them both to himself. He was already carrying Dick on his back, and now Jason had stopped and was refusing to move. "Come on, Todd, I don't have all day!"

"No." Jason crouched on the pavement, staring into the crack between two buildings

"We're meant to meet Father in ten minutes. Move."

"NO."

"Todd, I can't leave you here, even if I want to." The eldest brother tapped his foot.

Jason still refused. "I can't go."

"Why?" Damian demanded.

"shh." Jason put a finger to his lips. Damian lost his patience and strutted back to where Jason squatted. He looked where his brother was pointing; a skinny, dirty, scraped up cat. "I can't leave him." He looked up to Damian with huge eyes. Damian could understand; she (He knew the cat was a she) looked like the feline equivalent of Jason.

"Her. You can't leave her."

"Whatever! I can't leave." He slowly extended his hand, the cat flinched a little, but didn't have the capacity to be really scared. "She needs me!" He begged Damian. 

"One minute." For Damian, it was like watching his younger self. He hated to say he felt like the adult in this situation; desperately wanting to help this animal, but having somewhere he needs to be, and things he needs to do. "Here, Take this." He fished a five dollar bill and passed it to his little brother. "I'll watch her. Go to the 7/11 and get her some cat food." Obviously cheap cat food wouldn't be that good for her, but he did not want to let Jason out of his sight. "Be right back." Damian stated.

Jason took the bill cautiously, nodded, and took off in a sprint that would challenge the flash. Damian watched the cat intently, lowering Dick off his back. "Why we stopped?" The child asked.

"Shh. Richard." He pointed into the gap between buildings.

"Kitty?" He asked.

"Yes. It's a kitty." Damian said. "Don't scare her."

Dick nodded, sitting on the filthy concrete to watch the cat intently. Damian made a mental note to make the kid wash his hands when they got inside. Jason was already running back from the corner store.

"Jason, Kitty!" Dick exclaimed.

"Shh!" Jason stopped in time to see the cat scurry back into the darkness. "You scared her away!" Jason was beyond furious, about to hit his brother. Damian moved between them. "Here! you can have this!" Jason choked, thrusting the can at his brother. "I HATE you!" He yelled around Damian at his little brother, who started crying.

"She might come back, put the food out." Damian gave him the cat food.

"There's no point." He spat bitterly.

Damian needed to handle the situation; they were late, one kid was crying and the other was about to commit homicide. "Todd! After we've met with father, you and I can come back and look for her."

"Really?"

"First, put down the food. We'll leave Richard with father and come back in a half hour. If that's what you want."

Jason, nodded, watching the open cat food can. "It is."