DON'T TELL DAD!

Ages

Jason - 14

Dick - 11

Jason was about to scare the absolute shit out of his brother. 

Dick always complained about being treated like a baby, so Jason was about to smack him with the whole other side of the pendulum. No hostages. He lay dead still, he was about to become the monster under Dick's bed. He heard the door open and Dick's voice. 

"Yeah man, yeah." He giggled slyly. He was talking to Wally. He always giggled when he was around Wally. Jason eavesdropped on his brother's conversation for a while, cringing as the boys tried to be straight, normal friends. Eventually, Jay heard. "Alright man, Love ya -I MEAN- not like that, I mean- like, as friends ... bye." He hung up. Jason gave him another couple minutes, it would just be cruel to jump out right after such a colossal failure.

Eventually, Dick put on some music and got comfortable on his bed. There was a break in the music, Dicks ankle was hanging off the bed, perfect. 

Jason screamed through his Halloween mask, shooting out from under the bed and grabbing his brother's ankle. He swung the fake machete, dragging his little brother off the bed and throwing him onto the hardwood floor. He kept yelling, Dick was screaming, scrambling away across the floor. Jason was a little too into character, grabbing Dick's leg and yanking him back.

SMACK

Dick's head banged off the floor, jerking Jason back into his mind. tears began welling in his brothers eyes. 

shit.

Jason threw his mask back off his face. 

shit shit shit shit! 

"Dude! DUDE It's me!" He tossed his fake machete across the room.

Dick let out a cry, curling up and clutching the back of his head.

"I didn't hit you that hard!"

Dick tried to gain focus through his watery eyes.

"Don't tell dad, I didn't hit you that hard!" Jason was a little scared to touch him as he was wound into he fetal position, cradling his head. "You're fine, don't tell dad." He begged.

His brother choked something, having had the wind knocked out of him. "whY Jay?

"There, you're fine!" Jason practically shouted at him. " YOU'RE FINE!"

"That -oww- That hurt! I'm telling!"

"Nononono" Jason's face drained of all colour, he held his brother still. "You're fine, Hey, you can hit me back!" This was it, the final card.

"No, I'm telling!" Dick jerked away and tried to crawl to the door

SHIT

It is common sibling knowledge that if hit-backs don't work, you went too far.

"NO! No you're not!" Jason demanded. "YOU CAN'T TELL! I'll buy you anything from 7/11!"

Dick was still gasping to regain his breath, unforgiving.

"I'm sorry, okay!" His brother yelled. "I'm sorry! I'll get you something from 7/11 AND you can hit me back."

"maybe." Dick whined, blinking hard and holding his skull. 

"Awesome! I'll run down the street right away. just stay here!" Jason jumped to his feet. He was meant to be babysitting, but he needed to bribe his baby brother into silence. "What do you want?"

"I dunno."

"I'll get you a slurpee." Jason sprinted out the door. He only had a half hour or so until everyone got home.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's this?" Tim asked, brushing his brother's hair.

"...what?" Dick asked.

"you've got a nasty bump back here. Did you hit your head on something?"

Dick looked up at Jason, who shook his head slightly. He would totally do it all again if Dick tattled. 

"Nuh uh."

"Really?" Tim noticed the eye contact between his brothers.

"Yeah." Dick assured. "I dunno where that came from?"

"okay..." Tim let it go... until he got Jason alone.