Chapter 8

"What do you think, Mordred?" I asked my best friend quietly once we were back in my room after taking a completely silent walk back. Alyssa was helping me unlace the bodice behind my screen while I spoke, and Mordred assumed his position leaning against my bedpost. "Should I become their ward?" I could feel the shock emanating from Alyssa as Mordred responded.

"You know who you are, Ariel. But you know the faith you and I share in Arthur and his future decisions, as well. Besides, then everyone would call you 'milady' and it would be very amusing to watch you become so flustered."

"Thank you, Mordred," I grunted jokingly as Alyssa tripped, suddenly pulling the corset tight again.

"Sorry Ariel," she whispered. I giggled.

"It's fine," I whispered back.

"But... on a serious note," he began again once his chuckle died down. I could hear him get slightly closer to the screen, and his voice lowered a few octaves, getting slightly quieter in tone, setting a much more serious atmosphere. "I think you should accept."

I was shocked for a moment.

"But... The Druids-"

"Would be proud to know you're following your heart, as well as your destiny. Besides, if neither Arthur nor Gwen cares about your past as a Druid, why should you? Where you once were always influences you, but you can't let it rule."

I slipped my nightdress over my head and stepped out from behind the screen while Alyssa gathered my clothes and readied everything for me to sleep.

"You're right," I agreed. "And from a diplomatic position, I would have more influence to help the king move forward with his destiny to create Albion," I said quietly enough for Alyssa not to hear as I looked at him through the dim moonlight. "However, I do not believe the time is right. When I feel the timing is correct, I will accept their offer... However, I wish to tell them the whole truth before I do so."

He just looked at me for a long moment before walking to me.

"To think," he murmured, brushing some of my hair out of my face, making my face burn. "I'm in the presence of the future princess... And doesn't she look it?" He complimented, brushing his hand along my cheek.

"Mordred, I'm in my nightdress," I laughed, casting my eyes down as I blushed so many shades of red I knew I'd give Merlin's red scarf a run for its money.

He moved his hand to my chin and moved my face upward so I was looking at him.

"Follow your heart," he whispered before kissing my forehead softly and sweetly. Before I could say anything else, he walked out of my room toward his own.

I let out a breath I didn't realize I was holding before collapsing onto the bed with a sigh.

"It seems to me that Sir Mordred is beginning to realize how lucky he is to have you," Alyssa said with a giggle before speaking with me for a while and then leaving for home.

It was a long day.

~:~:~:~:~

The next day, I had taken a ride with Mordred. The day after, I convinced Arthur to let me in on more meetings, as to 'inform myself' on how the kingdom worked, to 'ready myself as a possible future-ward'. The day after, I was moved to another room, closer to the royal ones, as conditioned by the king to allow me place in said meetings. Then the day after, I attended a few meetings and had supper with Mordred.

This day, I had attended a meeting and found Sir Ranulf had been killed in the East. Arthur began readying himself to bring a party out to the East to seek justice, and I began helping with the preparations, getting an approximate number and figuring out the food portion of their travels.