XII

The trio ran to the mess hall and found a wild-eyed man holding a knife to another Shifters neck. "Take me back! I didn't know you were kidnapping us."

     Syd's arms stretched out in front of her, and she spoke in a calm tone, "We helped you, not harmed you."

     "Liars!"

     "What's going on here?" Liri asked.

     "He says that he needs to go back to the Cluster to get his medicine and instructions," Syd explained.

     "I think he's one of the core test groups," Seventy-six stated from behind Liri.

     Her gaze snapped to the elder shifter. "What are you talking about?"

     Seventy-six shook his bald head. "At one point, there were rumors that some Shifters responded well to the tests and ended up going on trips out of the compound." He shrugged. "I don't know if that is true or not."

     "I'll cross-check the data you pulled from Bazentine Werks systems to see if there is anything about this," Sasha said.

     "Good idea. Go, Doc." Liri stepped forward. A warm smile lit her face, and her tone was soothing, "We will take you wherever you'd like us to, but right now, everyone is hungry. Aren't you hungry?"

     "No! I need to get out of here, now!"

     "Fine, fine. You'll have to come with me to the emergency shuttles on board, but you must leave the little one here so she can have her meal."

     "No, she's coming too." His eyes darted around like a trapped tiger.

     "I'll let you leave, but you'll have to fly yourself back."

     "No, you have to turn this ship around and take me, or I'll start killing people."

     "With a butterknife?" Mauvrick asked from the far side of the kitchen bar.

     The terrorized man pressed the dull but effective cutlery to his captive's throat, eliciting a pained squeal from her. "I'll do it!"

     Liri lifted her hands and stepped closer. "I know you will, but all of these people don't want to go there again. Maybe we can work out a plan to get you back there?"

     He shook his head. "Take me to the bridge, or she's dead."

     "Okay, follow me," Syd said. "I will have Jax turn us around." The trio left the room with Liri inching as close to the crazed shifter as possible. Lifting both palms, she blew across them in his direction.

     The man shook his head.

     "I'm so hungry, Syd. What did Mauvrick make for breakfast?" Liri asked companionably.

     "Eggs, bacon, and strawberry preserve on a muffin."

     "Mmm, strawberries."

     The Shifter slowed his pace.

     "I can't wait to get back to the mess hall and eat some," Liri tried again.

     "Should we take a plate up to Jax?" Syd asked, hope coloring her tone.

     Liri rubbed her hands together and blew at him once more.

     "I can smell you Dubrovn, and it's pissing me off you'd think me so weak as to succumb to you." He spun, planting his back along the wall. A squeal left his captive's mouth as he yelled, "Get where I can see you."

     A trail of blood ran down the girl's neck, and Liri growled. Her rage-filled eyes snapped to Syd then back to him.

     Hooking her arm through his butterknife-loaded one, she jerked it towards her and shoved the hostage at Syd. With a firm grip, Liri dropped to the ground and kicked his midsection as she went. He flew over her and slammed onto the floor. Liri rolled onto his chest, pinning his arms with her legs as her electro-blade sizzled along his face.