8

As we opened the door, the sound of chatter could be heard as dad came back home earlier than before.

After I feel into the coma, uncle and aunt were sent abroad as Ted lived with our grandparents, and now, they were finally back.

Stepping into the living room, I saw the familiar faces for my relatives and I nodded and greeted them as they looked at me guiltily. Dad beckoned me over as I sat next to him on the sofa and Alfie took the seat beside me.

"Ariella? We are sorry." The couple said as they bowed their head. "We have sincerely learnt our lesson now. Can you please let us come back to the country?"

The second half of their speech made me realise what they had meant.

Uncle and aunt were never particularly nice to me. They were very dismissive and cold and occasionally they would forget about my existence. I seemed so much of an eyesore that they had to send me out of the house.

Apparently they had never gotten along with my biological mother, so my face that resembled hers seemed to poke their nerves.

I looked up at Ted who occasionally protected me when I was little and saw him look at me sternly, very discreetly shaking his head.

When we met again for the first time after my coma, he made it very clear to me, who he had back up in this accident.

He knew that his parents were absolutely at fault and I should not forgive them no matter what.

Turning my eyes to dad, I saw his gentle eyes that encouraged me in saying my opinion.

"Honestly... I can still remember how you had treated me before this so this feels very unreal." I began as the couple clearly stiffened. "I don't think I can forgive you both."

With clear, large eyes, I watched their faces twist as uncle stood up abruptly. "What do you mean?! We were kind enough to take you in when you were thrown away! Is this how you repay us for saving your life?! The one you should be blaming! It should be Matthew not us!!!!"

"Please let me finish my words, uncle." I said, raising my volume a little as dad's name  was bought into the conversation. "I won't forgive you, but you can come back as you please. Though... I'm sure that you are happier with this decision."

Slowly the angered man before me calmed down and sat back down, with a slight smile.

"I'm sorry for misunderstanding you... Right! That sweet girl in the past is still you, there is no way you can do something so harsh! Ahahaha..." He laughed awkwardly. "I was a bit heated up. Don't take my words to heart. You too, Matthew."

Dad looked at him with the same smile that is always on his face, but I could feel that it has become many times colder. Uncle had said something that he shouldn't have.

"You have heard my reply. Now, since there is nothing else, I will ask you to leave." I stood up, looking at the couple that seemed relieved as they nodded and enthusiastically left the house. Ted stayed behind, his hands holding his head as there was a heavy atmosphere in the room.

"I'm sorry on behalf of my parents, Uncle Matthew. They... It seems that people don't change easily." Ted sighed.

"It has nothing to do with you at all. I'm proud of you to be so upright and just despite being raised by those too. Honestly they weren't like this when we were younger..."

"I am going to continue to stay with grandpa and grandma. If they come back here to bother you, please chase them out without restraint."

"Teddy, are you okay?" I asked, looking at those drooped shoulders. He simply nodded with a weak smile and said goodbye, leaving the house.

Honestly. I had known beforehand but still...

Their visit leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

🌸🌸🌸

Sitting at the table for breakfast in the next morning, the atmosphere was still a little strained. Dad was silent as he ate and drank before standing up silently.

"Dad. Don't take his words to heart. I don't blame you at all." I said quickly before he could escape.

Looking at me with his soft and hurt eyes, he pat my head.

"I already knew."

Only saying a single line, he got up and left for work as Alfie and I exchanged troubling looks. Dad's words it was almost as if it was saying: 'I already knew that it was my fault'. Dad had kept this thought when I had already forgiven him.

My heart was heavy.

After breakfast, Alfie and I simply went to school just like usually as we thought about the various emotions and happenings that took place yesterday, talking about it a little.

"If I knew that this would happen, and dad will become more burdened, I should have told him to chase them away immediately to not spoil the mood."

"Sis, they had to apologise. Either way, they would come and bother us sooner or later. There is no need to feel so dispirited over irrelevant people." Alfie scoffed as he pulled me to walk a little faster than my snail-like pace. "Come on. At this rate, we might be late."

We walked a little quicker as the view of the school building came into my eyes.

'There was no use of brooding over dad's feelings and the consequences of letting aunt and uncle stay in the country.'

Is what I had thought before I had stepped into school.

However, throughout the day, dad's silent and sad face haunted me and what I was really particularly worried about was about Ted.

Ted who had the burden of his parents actions.

Ted who felt that he was the one who was at fault.

Then my mind wondered to my long dream.

So this was the consequence for being wilful.