Chapter 5

Gwendolyn

~3 weeks later~

"THAT DIRTY FUCKING LIAR!!" I screamed and slammed the laptop shut. I was seething at what I just found out. The Alex I had met was THE Alex Gaskarth, lead singer/guitarist for All Time Low, not some random Alex from off the street. I could understand if it was a different circumstance, like if he was a secret agent and couldn't reveal his identity or face the consequence of death but no. He was a famous lead singer in a well known band.

Not to mention a band that I would be seeing in less than a week with my neighbor. I don't understand why he couldn't just tell me he was in a band. I knew nothing about him and maybe this little information could've helped me learn more about him.

He hardly knew anything about me and I basically knew all about him now. I felt creepy, I didn't feel right about this at all. I sighed and got up to go get my phone, I had to call Penelope and talk about this whole concert situation. Right now, I didn't think I wanted to go anymore. I didn't think I had the courage to face him again. It was all just too much.

As I began to dial her number, my mom started to call. I hadn't spoken to my mother in at least a year since I had dropped out of college and moved to the city. My parents were basically so disappointed in me that they just didn't talk to me. They helped me pay for my apartment and such but no vocal communication has been made. Not for a while.

I was having an internal battle of whether I should answer it or not. Do I let it ring? Or do I pick it up and see what she wants? My curiosity got the best of me and I found myself answering it.

"Hello?" I was really nervous, I was scared that she would start judging me or yelling at me. I had to keep caution to what I say to her.

"Gwendolyn? Is that really you? Oh sweetheart! It's been so long! How's everything?" What. She seemed so caring and considerate, what happened to my mother?

"I, uh, I go by Gwen now mom. Um everything's great really.." Total lie, I mean what was I supposed to say 'oh you know real great! Tried jumping off a bridge recently and then fell in love with the guy who saved me! Oh and you'll never guess! He's in a popular touring band!' No. My problems didn't concern her, she was the "most well known and respected socialite in Chicago!" My mother was far from the loving mother persona, and she made it pretty clear growing up.

"That's wonderful darling! So I'm in the city and I was wondering if you'd like to meet up, and y'know, catch up a little, mother daughter time?" No, seriously, what happened to my mom? She was never this nice.

"Of course, um where are you? We could meet now?" I suggested. My enthusiasm was so fake that it made me sick, in no way shape or form was I ready for this. To be honest I suggested now so that I could get it over with.

"Right down the road from your apartment complex actually," creepy "we could go out to dinner. It would be splendid I have so much to talk about with you." Usually when she says she wants to talk about stuff with me, she means sit me down and talk and talk and talk while I try to swallow as much wine as I can to deal with her.

"Oh that would be great! I'll meet you across the street in 15 minutes." I said. I was so ready to get this over with that I didn't even consider how she would think of it.

"Great!" Was all I heard before I was running to get changed. I wanted her to think of good of me and not some lazy girl in yoga pants and a sports bra. This meant, I would have to wear a dress, some flats and leggings. It's my mom I had to be formal.

I grabbed my bag and ran out the door. On the outside I was enthusiastic, although I truly was so done with my mom, there was a part of me that was actually really excited to see her, it's been 2 long years and I deep down wanted to see her, but at the same time didn't.

Just like we planned she met me outside the apartment building. Dressed a little to fancy for an "out on the town" casual it wasn't difficult to spot her in a dress and heels.

"Mom!" I said as I walked up to her. I wasn't ready for her judgement, and it was pretty sad that I was preparing myself for immediate judgement.

"Gwen! Oh my gosh look at you! So beautiful!" She said as she hugged me. Although my smile was fake, I really wanted it to be real.

"C'mon lets go dear I've made reservations." She said and dragged me along. It was things like this that I didn't miss, like the feeling of being a puppet controlled by her every second, or being dragged around like a lost puppy.

"Reservation for 2 under Holloway." She said as she gestured to both of us. This restaurant was fancy, even in my dress and flats I felt underdressed.

The host sat us down and pulled out a notepad "can I start you wonderful ladies off with something to drink?" The waiter said. He kept sneaking glances down up at me. I felt very uncomfortable, I didn't really know how to handle situations like this.

"Um i'll have a glass of red wine." I said and he wrote it down. My mother widened her eyes and then relaxed "I forgot you were 23." Wow thanks. It's been so long that she forgot that I was of age to drink. That's nice.

The waiter walked away and my mother turned to me. "I have something important to tell you." She said. I couldn't help but feel distracted. I was looking around the room observing the different people. I saw my mothers lips moving and moving but no words were coming out. I couldn't be drunk already I haven't even taken three sips of my wine yet.

And then there they were. The eyes. The honey spotted, brown orbs that I just recognized. But it couldn't be.

"So I guess what I'm asking is would you like to be part of it?" She finished.

I snapped back into reality, but I was sneaking glances back and forth between my mother and the familiar eyes just ahead of me.

"Oh darling the new corporation your father put in place, he would like you to manage it." She said and laughed.

"Where is it?" I asked, I'm not just gonna do something that's completely across the country, I had somewhat of a life here in the city and that's how I planned to keep it.

"Only just a few hours into Baltimore dear. Not that far. So?" She asked one more time. I needed a change from the city view I'm sure Baltimore would provide that for me. I liked that it wasn't to far.

"Mother I would be delighted..-"

"Gwen?" I shot my head up and looked at the man in front of me. The same honey coated eyes that I was noticing for a while now. This time, he was fancy, suit and tie and everything.

"Alex?"