"So, cute and funny. That's kinda rare these days, you know, with the world ending and everything lol!" She laughed, taking a few steps closer before bending down.

Her long black jeans wrapped tightly around her wide hips, meandering around her curvaceous build. The blue, flower-patterned shirt she wore was a bit oversized, hanging just slightly off of her left shoulder.

She was beautiful, a perfectly sculpted model, each of her features complimenting the other. Her hair blended perfectly with the naturally tanned pigmentation of her skin, both sharing a soft, smooth texture. Her smile was pure and innocent, untainted by reality, just like her eyes. Her voice was tender, possessing such a calming pitch.

She cocked her heart-shaped face to the right. "I'm Elaina, what about you?" She breathed, a soft excitement in her voice.

Alex was taken aback by her friendliness and luring personality. He hesitated momentarily, scanning her up and down. "I'm A-" He paused, registering his carelessness with a mental facepalm. "I'm Kane."

"Oh yeah! I heard that name at that meeting but that's not your real name, is it?"

A smirk possessed her lips and her eyebrows arched upwards. She was as scary as a furry bunny with its glorious black orbs staring deep into your soul. Its snow-white fur and forever twitching nose.

Maybe that was even scarier actually.

Alex bit his lip, forcing back a chuckle. "Ooo I'm so scared." He mocked, his fingers finally pulling the cover from between the cabinets. He drew it closer to his body, hoping that she didn't see it. "Who said it isn't anyways?"

She straightened out her posture and tapped her lips softly before speaking. "Well, if it was your name you wouldn't forget it now would you? Come on tell me. Not like I'll tell anyone." Elaina persuaded.

"Fine, fine. Promise you won't tell anyone?"

"Promise."

"Well, I'm Alex."

Alex slipped the cover into the back pocket of his pants and stood up, his stature towering over her.

Her cheeks flushed red and her eyes grew at the revelation of his height. Her head was level to his chest, only emphasizing the difference.

"Nice to meet you Alex. Oh um, how old are you?"

"I'm seventeen. How about you kiddo?"

"I'm sixteen but I'll be seventeen soon."

"Hey, um how about we get out of here before we get in trouble?" Alex asked, gesturing towards the doorway. She nodded, her eyes intertwined with his, locked into a never-ending gaze. "Well Elaina, you know the rule. Ladies first, of course!"

Elaina walked through the door, Alex close behind, using this opportunity to remove the knife from the tabs of his pants, cover it and slide it into his pocket.

"Why were you really out here Alex?"

They were now clear of the weapon's room, Elaina leading the way.

"I could ask you the same thing." He dodged the question, realizing that she had seen through his previous lie.

"Well, If I tell you, you'd think I'm weird."

Alex sighed and shook his head. "To be honest, I already think you're weird." He teased, looking to the ceiling and laughing.

Elaina rolled her eyes and punched him on his shoulder, the same spot that his one true love would always hit. His face shifted, the joy replaced with a cloak of sadness. He stopped in his tracks, grabbing the spot that had been playfully jolted and squeezing firmly.

"What's wrong? Big bad wolf can't take a punch?"

Please just leave me alone.

I'M SERIOUSLY HERE LAUGHING AND SHE'S GONE!

I caused her death.

I don't get to laugh and be all happy.

No...

That's not fair to her!

I have to leave here...

I have to...

"Uh, nothing. Someone special used to do that all the time, that's all." He replied, a clear pain in his voice.

"I'm so sorry-"

"Don't stress it. Let's just go."

"Follow me, I know just the place."

Elaina grabbed a hold of his hand, pulling him along as she ran.

He could feel the softness of her palms, but there was something else about her that made him show no resistance. He couldn't quite understand what it was, but sometimes the not knowing made it all the more special.

➽~

The air bore a freshness to it, in contrast to the usual stench of decomposition.

The aroma of the pine trees floated along the waves of the breeze, swirling about with an intricate beauty. It beseeched the nose but waited for no answer in its dignified entrance and the nose held no objection. It was pleasant, calming. Welcomed at any time given and with each deep breath, the cycle repeated like a hymn of old.

The trees stretched out to the heavens, encircling the rusted water tank in the distance. The evergreen kingdom extended to the ends of the earth, melting into the orange spread of the horizon. 

The sun had crept away from its glorious throne of noon, now falling beneath the authority of the trees to meet the lady of dusk. 

The golden tint coated the tips of the wooden darts as the trees showered in the retreating light, a sight to see, now rare indeed.

It stole his breath with such a flawless elegance, leaving him to gasp at its wonder.

"Up here is...beautiful." Alex sighed, taking in the vastness of the nearby woods.

The steel cushioned their seat as they sat on the roof of the eighth and final storehouse in the compound, far away from the eyes of others still in the meeting.

"This," Elaina started, staring at Alexander. "Is my safe place."