Chapter 8: Unrequited

"You...love me?" Simon felt a spark of happiness in his heart.
"No," Jason answered honestly. "Not yet."

"Oh." Simon frowned. His 'I love you' earlier truly wasn't addressed toward me.

Noticing the disappointment on Simon's face, he added, "But, I do like you a lot."

"It's okay." The lad pretended to laugh it off as if he wasn't affected by Jason's truthful words. "You don't have to explain. I understand."

"Do you really?"

"Master Jason, I should go clean up downstairs."

"Simon, it's late. Leave the tidying for tomorrow and go get some rest."

"Okay." Simon picked up his discarded clothes from the floor and hurried out the door as tears glided down his cheeks. What in the world is wrong with me? I'm such an idiot. Why did I tell him that I like him? I've only known him for a couple weeks. There's no way he'll ever love me. I'm only his maid after all. Stepping into his room, he shut the door and inhaled a forgotten breath. Love? When did I even...fall for him? Glancing at the digital clock on his bedside table, it read 2:17 a.m. Why am I upset? It's not like I didn't see it coming. Pressing a palm on his chest, he attempted to soothe his aching heart. Why is there an ache in my heart?

Jason furrowed his brows in concern and walked over to Simon's bedroom. Standing outside, he lifted a loosely curled fist but hesitated whether to knock or not. Maybe, he's asleep. I shouldn't... With a sigh of defeat, he turned on his heels and headed back into his room.

Unable to sleep, Simon put on some clothes and decided to go downstairs to search for something to fill his empty stomach. He hadn't eaten anything since that one bite of bread he snatched from the party. It was quickly shoved into his sleeves and dropped when his young master dragged him away to the bar. Wiping at his tired eyes, a yawn escaped his mouth. Just forget it. Forget him.

The area where the bash was held had been cleaned up nicely. All the food and drinks were cleared out leaving only the decorations to be dealt with on the next day. Simon knew it was Sean's doings and felt very grateful to the man. His best friend really did find a great companion to spend his life with. Sleepily making his way into the kitchen, he flicked on the lights and saw a container on the table housing various unfinished pastries. Pulling off the lid, he took out one of the bite-sized apple strudels and popped it in his mouth.

"Hungry?" A familiar voice caught him off guard and he jumped.

Quickly swallowing the partially chewed sweets, Simon choked and ended up coughing.

"Aiyoh...are you all right?" Bo immediately rushed to grab a cup off the rack and poured him some water. "Here," he uttered, handing it to Simon. "Drink."

Nodding graciously, he took the offered beverage and washed down the entrapped food in his throat. "T-Thanks."
Bo could tell that something was bothering Simon and gently stroked a comforting hand on the lad's back. "Why are you still up at this hour?"

"I'm starved," Simon answered. "Why are you still here?"

"It got really late after the cleanup, so Sean and I helped ourselves to one of the guestrooms."

"I see."

"What's wrong, Simon?"
"N-Nothing," Simon forced on a smile. "I'm fine."