Chapter 2: French Maid

Early next morning, Simon felt something poking at his nose and he sleepily swatted whatever it was away. He peeked open an eye and noticed a man grinning widely at him. It's that guy from yesterday. Simon caught eye of the leaf in the male's hand and realized that he was the culprit who woke him from his uncomfortable slumber. Immediately, the slender boy jolted up into a sitting position as a yawn escaped his mouth.

"Why are you sleeping on the campus bench with a suitcase beside you? What happened? Got kicked out of your home?"

"It..." Not wanting to admit that his guess was right, he retorted. "It's none of your business."

Lifting his hand to show Simon the ring he left as collateral, he smiled. "What did you say?" He seated himself down, right next to Simon.

Pouting, Simon swallowed his pride and confessed. "Yes. I didn't have any money left to pay for my rent because it all went to making my final project. I..." Suddenly, his stomach made a loud, growling sound.

The man chuckled and stood up. "I guess that means you can't pay me back." He stood up, grabbed hold of Simon's suitcase, and dragged it with him. "Come on. Let's go!"

"What are you doing? Why are you taking my suitcase?" Simon followed closely behind him and attempted to grab the handle, to no avail. "Give it back!"

"My maid quit last night. You could take her place in the meantime as a way of paying me back. Her room is empty, so you could stay there. Meals are included."

Meals are included? Simon's eyes lit up at the thought.

"Hurry up! My house is a total mess, and I can't stand it."

"I thought you said your maid left last night."

"She did."

"Then, your place couldn't possibly be that dirty."

"You'll see when we get there."

"What? Wait. I didn't agree to be your maid."

"You have no choice, kid."

Darn it! He's right. Simon's bottom lip jutted out into a pout as he silently agreed.

Placing Simon's luggage into the trunk of his black SUV, he got in and waited for his newly drafted maid to do the same. Getting in hesitantly, Simon folded his arms over his abdominal hoping it would stop making additional embarrassing noises. All that did was make them even louder, or that was what Simon thought.

"Hungry?"

"N-No," Simon fought a losing battle to his grumbling stomach and admitted, "yes."

"Haha!" He drove out of the university parking lot and into the busy streets.

"Don't laugh at me. I..."

"You what?"

"I...haven't eaten since yesterday morning."

"What?"

"I'm starved."

"Why didn't you eat?"

"I was hoping I could skip a meal or two to save up some money."

"Doesn't your family support you somehow?"

"It's..."

"None of my business, right?" he interrupted.