The Warm Calamity And Darkness

Warning: Graphic descriptions of violence! Very dark! 

This chapter is not for the faint of heart! Be warned!

Splash

My eyes shoot open after being splashed in the face with water. One of the first things I notice, is that my arms and legs are tied down to the chair I'm sitting in. I try to wriggle my wrists out of the ropes, but to no avail. Looking up, I see a young man, maybe about 20 years old, standing in the shadows. There's maybe 3 other men in the room, too.

"Pl- please... Let me go. I won't tell anyone what happened, I just wanna go home," I whimper. The young man chuckles with a sinister tone and walks up to me. I feel a hand on my cheek, so I jerk my head away in an instant.

"You're Y/n Sullivan, correct?" The man asks with a thick Brooklyn accent, one that sounds oddly familiar. I decide it's best not to tell him, and shake my head.

"No, my name's Ash Kelly. I think you got the wrong person. But if you let me go, I won't tell anyone," I say. He scoffs and dramatically walks around the room.

"Yeah, yeah. And you're brudda's name is Jack Kelly, too. I do have tah say, lovely choice on an alias. I would have nevah guessed it was you, even though we have met before," he says with a smirk.

"Okay, one, who are you? Two, how do you know my name? And three, what do you want?" I ask. He simply tisks and walks up to me, pulling my face up so that I'm looking directly at him.

"So many questions, which is funny because you'se in no position to be asking 'em. But, I guess I shoulds explain it to ya, darlin'. I know ya name because I have been soiching for you since you've been in the Refuge. What do I want? Well, let's just say that your brudda took what was closest to me, so I'm here to retoin the favah. And who am I? Darling, I'm surprised you couldn't tell just by lookin' at me," he says. After taking in his appearance for a minute, I realize who he is.

Luis. The very person who had hurt me all that time ago. He must see my expression, because he starts chuckling.

"Ah, so you do remembah me. Then do you remembah what your stupid brudda did tah me?" He asks, pushing back the chair I'm in. I shake my head. "Well, he took my little brudda! He's about three years younga than me. I miss him more than I've missed anyone. And now he works a fuckin' newsie! I can't believe you don't remembah Francis breaking both a yis outta da Refuge."

Him saying that brings back a lost memory of mine, one of not just Jackie and I breaking out of The Refuge, but another person too. I don't remember knowing the person very well, but Jackie did, as they both were newsies at the time.

"Luis, p-please, I don't want any trouble. I just wanna go-" I begin to say, but get returned with a slap to my face.

"If ya don't want any trouble, then don't speak! You'se gonna pay fah what Francis did tah me!" He yells. I spit in his face.

"If you have any trouble with my brother, go to him directly! He's very good at dealing with issues! But don't come to me, thinking that kidnapping me will suddenly fix all of your problems! I don't know who your brother is, but if he's one of our newsies, then he'll probably never want to see you!" I yell. Luis holds his arm up again to slap me. "They know what you did to me! All of them! And they all hate you for what you did!"

I see his expression drop into that of fear. Fear of having his brother hate him. That's the expression I always see on my face.

"It's just because he doesn't know dat I'se his brudda," he says, trying to deny the truth. But I shake my head.