The Docks

Warning: Talks about rape, so if you're sensitive to that, I'll put * before and after it happens.

I finish hanging out with my friends at the library, it's about 5 PM and they had to go home. So I check out a few books for the road and head over to the Brooklyn docks. I usually go there at this time, as the view of the water is calming.

I put my books in my bag and take off, forgetting to put back on my Newsie outfit in order to not get picked on as much by the Brooklyn boys.

I finally reach the docks and see the sun setting slowly on the water. At the end of the docks, I spot a pile of large boxes and climb up them, seeing a hidden part of the dock that would be perfect for sitting at.

I hop down to dip my feet in the water and take off my shoes to do so. I set my toes in the cold water and shiver. It's always cold at first, but I get used to it. Taking off my bag and set it beside me, I take in the beautiful sunset.

I pull a book out and start reading it, listening to the quiet waves flowing gently. I unbraid my hair and let it flow in the gentle wind.

"What're you doings in my spot?" A voice asks from behind me. I jump from the sudden voice and accidentally fall into the water.

"Crap!" I yell, the waters too cold for me to process, I can't even try to swim, even though I know how. I just close my eyes and feel my body start to sink, clutching my book close to my chest, making sure that I carry it to my death.

Suddenly, there's an arm wrapped around my waist and I can suddenly breathe again. I cough up as much water as I can. I open my eyes and see a boy, he looks around my age and is really handsome. Something about him is vaguely familiar, and not in a good way.

"Are youse alright, miss?" He asks. I finish coughing and look him in his eyes, they're a bright blue, brighter than a morning sky.

"Yes, thank you," I say, he smiles in a cocky way.

"Now, would ya minds tellin' me why you were ins mah spot?" He asks, making me laugh nervously.

"Well, I usually come to the docks at this time, but this time I saw these boxes and decided to climb them. And found this little space, so I pulled out my book and started reading it. Then you showed up and I got scared and fell in," I explain. He nods at my answer.

"Makes sense," he says and spits in his hand, holding it out to me, "what's yours name, pretty lady?" I spit in my hand without thinking and shake his, he looks shocked at my actions. "Wow, I'se never met a lady who's evah done a spit shake." I laugh.

"Well, I guess I'm not your every day girl. Anyways, my friends call me sweetheart, so you can call me that," I say with a smile. He smirks another one of his stupid smirks.

"Yeah, but I wanna know what I should be callin' youse tonight," he says with a wink. I deadpan.

"No thank you. My brother would KILL me if I even went near Brooklyn. So I've already broken one rule, maybe two by talking to you. So I don't want to upset him even more," I say as I get myself up, feeling myself freezing from the cold air.

"Wheres you from then? And whos is this brudda of yours?" I think about whether I should tell him. I don't even know him, which actually is good, we'll never see each other again. 

"I'm from Manhattan. And my brother is Jack Kelly," I say with a smile. He looks at me with another shocked face, but tries to hide it.

"Your brudda's Jack Kelly? As in the leadah of the Manhattan Newsies?" I nod, "So then who does that make you?"

I try to compose myself a bit.

"They call me Ash Kelly. Friends call me Sweetheart, but when I'm on the streets they just call me sugar." He scoffs.

"Whys would you be ons the streets?" He asks.

"Well, I work as a Newsie. And I'm a pretty good one if I dosay so myself," I say. He laughs, "What're you laughing at?"

"Youse ain't a Newsie! I knows one when I sees one!" I sigh and grab my cap from my bag, pull my hair up, then put the cap on. His eyes go wide, which makes me laugh.

"You shouldn't judge a book by it's cover. Wait, what's your name?" I ask. He smirks.

"The name's Spot, Spot Conlon. Head of the Brooklyn terf," he says, with his cockiness raising up 10 levels. I freeze, in two ways. I notice how much I must have been shivering from the water, and so does Spot.

"Here, let me set up a bed for yis. You must be freezin'." I shake my head.

"N-no thanks. My brother's going to be mad at me. I should just head home. But thank you for the offer." I stuff my book and hat in my bag and reach for my jacket, only to realize that it's gone. "No, no! It must've fallen in! Oh shoot! Jackie's going to kill me!" I panic, then feel a hand on my shoulder, which makes me flinch.

"Hey, don't worry, you can borrows mine," he speaks. I look at what he's wearing and see that he indeed is wearing a checkered jacket, with his sleeves rolled up.

"No, I couldn't-"

"Nonsense, you'll freeze tah death othawise. And besides, thinks of it as a gift from Brooklyn." I watch him take off his jacket, remaining on only red overalls and a white shirt. I take it and put it on slowly, not sure if this is right. But when I finally put it on, I already feel warmer.

"Thank you, Spot. I owe you one." I giggle slightly and start walking away. But I get blocked by a cane. He turns me around and wraps one arm around me.

"Hows about you pay me back now with a kiss?" I press my hand against his chest to try get away but he holds me too tight. My head feels tight, and my eyes feel heavy and dark just looking at the boy in front of me.

*

I open my eyes to see the same kid from the refuge. Luis. (I'm sorry if you know anyone by the name of Luis or that's your name) I try to move but he holds me down. I try to scream but he covers my mouth.

"Hey! Be quiet, (Y/n). Just let this happen."

"Stop! Please-" I feel a sharp slap to my cheek.

"Shhh... Francis doesn't need to know. Now keep your pretty mouth quiet..."

I look around the room for someone to help me, there's a boy around 15 who's awake and looking. I look him in his eyes as a plea for help. He looks away, seemingly scared of what's happening.

I just lie there and breathe. Praying for this all to be a nightmare. When I try to get him to stop.

"stop."

No stopping.

"Stop."

He keeps going.

*

"Stop!!!"

He lets go of me and gives me a worried look.

"I'm sorrys, I was just trying to joke-"

"No! I won't let you hurt me again!!" I hear my voice shaking and breaking.

I take off back to Manhattan.

Jackie's sure going to be pissed.