Chapter 6

~Katniss POV~

I am being chased through the forest by mutts.

Instead of the features of the tributes from the 74th games, the eyes of the people I have killed glare at me. A mutt version of Finnick leads the pack with Boggs, Castor, Messala, Marvel, Glimmer and a mass of people who died in the bombing of District 12 follow closely behind. They growl hungrily mere meters behind me, longing for my flesh between their sharp yellow teeth.

I sprint through the forest. Rogue tree branches whip my face. The mutts keep getting closer

and closer

and closer.

Now I can feel them pant with hot breaths on my thighs. I run faster but my body screams in protest. My lungs feel like they are on fire and the muscles in my legs sear in agony with every step.

I trip over an uneven patch of the forest floor and crash to the earth. A mutt pounces on my back and yelps in celebration. To my surprise the muttation wraps his furry arms around me and squeezes me to the point of suffocation. I scream and wake up.

Peeta's arms which were once wrapped around me in a protective but gentle manner are now tightening around my torso in his sleep. I wrench myself from his grasp with extreme difficulty and put his face in my hands.

"Peeta, wake up!"

The muscles in his face are taut and his eyes are scrunched up.

"Peeta, Peeta! Come on wake up!"

His jaw is rigid in my hands. I feel his body start to tremble violently. That's when I start sobbing.

"Peeta!" I yell.

He gasps as he wakes. His eyes dart around the room in fear.

"Peeta, it's okay, you're okay. It was only a nightmare."

I bury my face into the crook of his neck and hug him tightly. Tears drip off my face and slide down his neck.

His shaking subsides and he strokes my back. I feel so weak! I should be comforting him! Not him comforting me!

After I have cried myself out I feel exhausted. I'm out like a light in no time at all, slumped over Peeta.