Chapter 15

Nikolas was miraculously doing better. Not standing yet but sitting up and conversing. He was a different centaur surrounded by his own kind.

They found out they were in Africa. Which meant Tarik wasn't as far from his home than he thought he was but Nikolas had crossed the northern sea.

He was very far from home.

"There are some ferry men who will take you. But the sea is many weeks journey from here. You are welcome to stay." Maaleshiira, the female who had found them and was in fact the leader spoke. Her husband had passed away a year ago, making her the head.

"I have a family to go back to. But I thank you, for all you've done." He bowed his head to her.

She smiled kindly in return. "It will still be many days before you are ready to make such a long journey. Stay as long as you like."

Mara and Tarik stayed with Nikolas until nightfall. He was the happiest he'd ever seen the old centaur. A new hope had entered his eyes that wasnt present before. He was so close to his family.

"How long has it been?"

Mara had fallen asleep against Tarik who wanted to know a little more about his friend. Nikolas sighed and rubbdd a hand down his face.

"Time is so hard in that place. But many years I'd say." He nodded to the sleeping girl. "But her, I remember seeing her for the first time. She couldn't have been more than twelve or thirteen. She would bite and scratch anyone who approached her." He smiled sadly. "Seeing her now," Nikolas wiped away a tear.

"I miss my little girls." The centaur sighed.

"You have children?"

"Two. Nora and Nina. My wife Yoana their birth. Twins are rare with centaurs. Normal births are already dangerous enough." He twisted and untwisted his fingers.

Tarik reached out, comforting his friend. "You'll see them again."

After leaving Nikolas to rest, he carried Mara out to the woods. Without dropping her he shifted, his talons curving around her. He flew up into a tree and shifted back as he landed on a branch.

He settled down, leaning against the truck, and fell asleep.

In this dream he wasn't flying. He was walking through dense forest, batting aside ferns and vines. Tarik could feel someone following him.

But he recognized the feeling of this dream with the one he flew with Mara in. This was her. He smiled at the thought and continued to tromp through the woods until she decided to show herself.

And when she did she was wearing that beautiful golden dress that flowed like a river of gold. Her short hair was pulled back by a gold leaf crown.

She was a goddess.

He stepped forward to approach her but she held out a hand.

Mara was standing up straight, hands folded against her stomach. She opened her mouth.

"Tarik."

He startled a step back.

She smiled at him. "I thought I might be able to speak here." She waved her hands around. "While I am not complete, my memories are still hazy, I regain language in this place."

Tarik was about to faint. His Mara was speaking to him. It was soft and gentle. A soothing caress on his aching soul.

He slowly sunk to his knees.

"Don't wake up." She came to him, laughing. Her hands cupped his face. "I want to talk more."

"What is this place?" He pulled on her arms so they were both kneeling. She looked up at him.

"A dream. I can manipulate them." She shrugged. "This," she waved her hand towards the trees. "It's all I can remember from before."

Tarik watched her as she swept her eyes over everything. There was a strange blur to the woods, unless you focused on a single tree or flower. Was that her incomplete memory or just how dream manipulation worked?

"Do you want to go back?" He asked. His previous question at the pool wasn't forgotten.

She lowered herself the rest of the way to the ground and he followed. "I don't remember enough to know where to start looking for my family…if I have one."

Tarik didnt say anything but his heart was racing and his throat was tight. He wanted her to come with him but he also wanted her to be happy.

"Until my memories return. I would like to see your home." She shyly glanced up. "To stay with you."

He smiled and cupped the sides of her neck. His thumbs brushed her cheeks.

"I'd like that very much." Tarik leaned down and brushed his nose against hers. He felt a pulling sensation and woke up in the tree.

A small weight was on him. He looked down to see the rivers of gold leaving him and pooling back into Mara's eyes. She blinked and smiled.

He pulled her up so they were eye level.

"Mara." His voice sounded loud. Birds and monkeys moved through the trees. He took a moment to get his thoughts together.

"Gryphons…we don't choose lightly." His face grew hot. "I need you to understand what I'm asking you. If you don't like my home, I'll follow you anywhere." He searched her face. She only had a knowing smile.

"What?" He laughed a little, feeling panicked.

She looked towards the centaur home and back to him. He didnt understand. Then it clicked.

"Did…did Nikolas tell you all of this?" His face felt like it was growing even hotter. She wouldn't turn those piercing eyes from him and he was growing even more nervous.

Mara nodded.

"That," he swallowed. "Gryphons mate for life?"

She nodded again.

He let out a rush of breath and sagged against the tree trunk. "A-and you? You agree to this? To be with me-"

She kissed him.

He stared at her in shock. She bit her lip, hiding her smile. He couldn't help the smile that he returned.

"Okay." Tarik pulled her towards him. "Okay." He pressed his lips against hers and kissed her softly.