Fifteen

Lucifer spent most of the rest of the day sleeping. When he woke up, he decided to see how Jack was. He found the boy was still a bit upset, so he decided to distract him. They were currently sitting in the library in front of the piano. "Do as I do."

Jack watched as his father pressed a couple of keys down. He did the same. "Very good. The fist step is learning to familiarize yourself with all the different keys. Each one sounds different."

"It sounds like it will be hard," Jack said.

"Yes, as I've said, it will be difficult, but learning something new has rewards," Lucifer said.

Jack nodded. "Father, why does Dean hate you so much? He blames you for everything."

"Humans tend to do that. I am the Devil. Many humans feel the need to blame me for what goes wrong in their lives. However, Dean is not completely wrong about me. He blames me for my creature. A great deal of that is my doing. Of course, if my father hadn't given me that bloody mark, it wouldn't have happened, but I can see it from Dean's point of view," Lucifer said.

"But you're not like him. You don't hurt people like he does," Jack said.

"Like it does," Lucifer corrected. "You're correct, I'm not, but I created it. Though I also locked it up to prevent this all from happening."

"It was released. If it hadn't been, many people would still be alive, but I wouldn't be," Jack said.

"That's correct, and for that reason, I'm not sorry I didn't just kill it after I created it," Lucifer said. While he could admit that his creation caused a lot of damage, for which it would die, it was the reason he had a son, and despite his initial reluctance, he would never wish his son away.

"Even though many people would still be alive, some of them your own family?" Jack asked.

"Yes. Do not doubt that you're worth those lives, at least you are to me. You're meant to be here," Lucifer said.

"Am I? Others don't think so. Dean wanted me killed and a lot of angels tried to kill me before I was born because of what I am," Jack said.

"Do not allow what others think to get to you. They're wrong," Lucifer said firmly.

"I...I killed someone," Jack said after a minute.

Lucifer turned and looked directly at his son. He didn't speak. He simply waited for Jack to continue.

"It was an accident. I was hunting with Dean, Sam, and Castiel. I used my powers, and someone died. He was innocent," Jack said near tears.

"You said it was an accident," Lucifer finally spoke.

"I know, but..."

"No, listen to me. You never meant to hurt anyone. You lost control of your abilities because they are new to you. Mistakes happen when you have a lot of power, at least until you've learned to use it correctly," Lucifer said.

"But doesn't it mean that the other angels are right? That I should've been killed?" Jack asked.

"No. All it means is that you need to learn control," Lucifer said.

"So, you don't think I'm evil?"

"Of course not. I don't think I'm evil, and believe me, I've done worse than you have," Lucifer said. He may never have killed a human, even accidentally, but he had led a rebellion against God. Many would consider that to be worse.

There were tears running down Jack's face. He tried to wipe them away, but they just kept falling..

On instinct, Lucifer pulled the boy into his arms to comfort him.