Thirty-Five

It was about two months later that everyone was finally ready to travel to the alternate universe to stop alternate Michael and save Mary. Michael had recovered enough that he was prepared to fight once more, and Gabriel's Grace had recharged quite a bit. It wasn't a hundred percent.

Everyone was in library getting ready to go. Lucifer turned to Michael. "Are you sure you're ready for this? We could wait longer."

"Has our mother not waited long enough?" Dean asked coolly. As far as he was concerned, they should've gone over a month ago. Michael was coherent and sane, but everyone was so busy treating him like a fragile child.

"Better to wait than have her end up dead because we're not all ready," Gabriel countered.

"I'm fine. I'm ready to fight. We cannot allow my counterpart to come here and destroy this world," Michael said.

"Rowena should be down any second to start the spell," Sam said. They'd gotten in touch with Rowena not too long ago. She reluctantly agreed to help. She was even more reluctant when she learned Lucifer was with them. They'd explained that he was not the same being that killed her, but it did little to assure her. Thankfully, they still managed to convince her to help.

"Sam, how much do you trust this witch?" Lucifer asked. Not only did they need to trust her to keep the rift open, he would also be leaving his son there with her. He didn't relish the idea of leaving his son with a stranger.

"On a good day, maybe seventy percent," Sam said.

"I don't like those odds. I'm leaving my son with her," Lucifer said.

"I don't need a babysitter. I'm not a child!" Jack grumbled as he sat petulantly in an armchair away from the group. Once again, he was forbidden to go and help while everyone he cared about left to save the world. It wasn't fair. He wasn't a child. Well, he supposed he technically was, but he didn't look or feel like one. He sometimes wished he did. It would seem more true. Plus, he sometimes wished he could experience life the way everyone else had. Right now though, he just wanted to go with his family to stop the other Michael.

Lucifer ignored his son. He decided it was best not to engage with him right now. He figured it would only make things worse, so he'd just let the boy be angry for now.

"I don't think you have to worry about Rowena. I don't think she'd dare try to hurt Jack," Sam said. Rowena was terrified of Lucifer. It didn't seem to matter that he was not what killed her so brutally. The fact that that thing was made up of his Grace was enough to scare the hell out of her.

"Perhaps," Lucifer said. He was far from convinced, but had no other choice. He refused to take Jack to a warzone, and they needed everyone else with them. Well, not so much Sam or Dean, but neither would agree to stay behind. He really couldn't blame them in this instance. Their mother was in that world.

Just then, Rowena came into the room. "Alright, I suppose you're all ready."

"Yeah. Each of us have given you a vial of our Grace. That should give us fours days, correct?" Amenadiel asked.

"In theory. This hasn't exactly been tried before," Rowena said as she began setting up her ingredients.

"As we mentioned, Jack is going to be staying here with you," Sam said.

Jack began grumbling at that.

Lucifer walked over to Rowena, who took a step back and looked away. "You're afraid of me, correct, Darling?"

Rowena wouldn't give him the satisfaction of answering.

"If anything happens to my son, I will make that fear a reality," Lucifer warned. He knew what the woman had been through thanks to his creation. He had no desire to make it worse, but his son was his priority. So, he decide that if she already feared him, he might as well use it to make sure she didn't try to hurt Jack.