2

The base looked completely different compared to when we'd left it a few hours ago.

Lights had been strung up all across the front forest trees, buildings and surrounding fences. In the middle of the field, an open stage had been set up with a live band, currently playing an up-beat song. A crowd of people surrounded the stage, some listening, others dancing, either in partners, or in small groups.

Children ran around happily, laughing and squealing in delight as they chased one another. Food stalls lined the far left side, the aromas of sweet meats and breads wafting in the air. Across the back of the field, a merry-go-round had been set up. Illuminated by the bright flashing lights and the turn table painted with images of baby angels sitting on white clouds. How ironic I thought to myself.

On the other side, a Ferris wheel was slowly turning, reaching high in the air. Lights running up the arms of the wheel, giving a soft golden glow. The red, blue and yellow carriages rocked gently with the movement.

People at the top waved to their friends and family below, some couples in a deep conversation or loving embrace.

Nestled in between, a bright yellow and red building with a large flashing sign reading "Fun House of Magic Mirrors" sat. Children were dashing inside as their parents waited. Teenagers in groups also entering, laughing as they shoved one another in jest.

Against the right side of the field, a row of arcade stalls had been assembled. A ring toss sat on the furthest edge, followed by a bottle knock stall, a balloon popping wall and finally on the end closest to us, a water shooting game.

"What would you like to do first?" Micah asked me, taking my hand as we walked towards the field. I glanced around and noticed a black tent tucked into the back corner of the forest. I didn't see it at first, blending in with its surroundings. A small chalkboard out the front read 'Fortune Teller/Card Readings'.

"Can we grab a drink and then head over to the arcade alley?" I glanced at him, giving him a smile. We each purchased a freshly made cup of iced lavender tea, and Micah opted to also buy a small serving of sweet sugar puffs.

"They are deep fried pieces of dough, covered in sweet sugar and syrup. Here, try one" he said, holding out one for me to take. It was warm and crunchy on the outside, while soft on the inside. The savory flavour of the dough combined with the sugar and syrup was unlike anything I'd ever had before. The flavours burst on my tongue and made my mouth water. I made a low moaning noise in my throat, earning a cheeky grin from Micah.

"Good huh?" he said, leaning down to my ear, "still doesn't taste as good as you" his hand running up my back and resting on my neck. Almost choking on the sugar puff, I glared at him, taking a big mouthful of my tea. My cheeks felt like they'd been kissed by the sun they were burning so hot. Steering me towards the arcade games, we stopped in front of the bottle knock stall.

"Hey Micah!" the young boy behind the booth grinning like mad.

"Hey Mason" Micah replied, sipping the last of his tea and throwing it into the nearby rubbish bin.

"Wanna try ya' luck at knocking the bottles down?" the young boy, Mason, asked. He held out three white balls.

"basically, if you can knock all six bottles down, you can pick one of the top prizes here" he gestured to us with his hands. There were several stuffed animals including a pink bear, a yellow duck and a blue giraffe.

"Why not?" Micah said, handing him a coin and taking the balls.

"You won't do it" I said, biting my lip to keep from laughing. Micah glanced down at me, smirk on his face and said,