19

I inhaled a shuddering breath right as a glass jar illuminated beside me, causing me to jump. Another jar lit on the other side of me, and I glanced around.

"Gabe?" I called out cautiously, but there was no response.

Another jar illuminated a few feet ahead of me, followed by its pair on the other side. More and more lit up, revealing a trail of flower petals on the floor. The restaurant rooftop had been cleared of all the tables and chairs. The deck was completely empty except for the jars and the flowers.

One by one, the glass jars glowed to life, and waiting at the end, was Micah.

My heart stopped, and then stammered to life, racing a million miles a minute. I exhaled sharply, as soft music filtered through the air. Dressed in a tuxedo matching the color of my dress, he stood, hands by his sides as he took me in. He offered me a beautiful smile that had me all but running to him.

Stopping in front of him, I waited for him to say something, my emotions running wild.

"Adeline," he started, "You have been by my side through some of the hardest trials I have ever had to face. You have healed me in so many ways that I can't begin to explain" he spoke, his words melting right into my heart. He took my hands in his, bringing us closer together. So close, I could feel his warm breath brush against my face.

He rested his forehead against mine for a moment, before pulling back to stare at me once more.

"I promise to always be your light in the dark. I promise to be with you through every twilight, and I promise to be with you when we wake with the dawn. I will always put you first, no matter what. Nothing will come between us. We are bonded, through more than just my soul. You've been with me from the beginning. I have loved you since your first breath in my arms when I rescued you, and I swear to you, I will love you until our last" he finished.

Tears were streaming down my face now, and the chocked sobs broke free. I watched as he slid down on one knee, presenting me with a thin black box. Carefully opening each side, he unfolded it. A sunflower began to open along with it, and hidden in the petals was a ring.

The band was made from a white gold, and small individual diamonds sat around the band. In the center, a oval shaped blue diamond sat nestled between two smaller blue diamonds on either side. The color immediately reminded me of Micahs' eyes. Looking into them now, they held absolute promise.

"Adeline Waverly, will you give me the chance to love you forever as my wife?" he asked. I was still crying as I bent down to bring my lips to his.

"Yes" I whispered back as his thumb came up to brush away the tears. Taking the ring out of its resting place, he slipped it against my ring finger. It fit perfectly. I kissed him again, and then the fairy lights above snapped on, as people began to cheer and applaud. Evie and Gabe stepped out of the shadows, hooting and clapping as they made their way over to us.

Evie reached me first, as she threw her arms around me.

"You're not the only one who can plan an engagement surprise" she whispered to me, placing a kiss to my cheek before stepping out of the way seconds before Gabe swept me into his arms.

"Thank gods you said yes angel, I couldn't deal with any more drama this millennium" he said laughing.

More guests gathered to congratulate us, including my grandmother.

"Your parents would be so proud of you Adeline darling" she cooed, kissing each cheek before stepping aside. Commander Raz offered me a small smile from where he stood, conversing with some of the other warriors who had come along to celebrate.

The celebrations carried on throughout the night, and for the first time in a long while, I dreamt of my future; The one I'd get to share with my soulmate.