11

Standing in the butterfly garden, I waited alongside one of the priestesses who had remained behind to assist in the healing tents. She had been dressed in royal blue which I'd learned is a custom here in Taevas. A small white stone sat in the center of her forehead, and inky patterns had been tattooed across her eyes like a band. She held an old leather book between her hands, and she stood silent and waiting. She wore no jewels or shoes, and her figure remained hunched, like she'd spent many hours over a table or bench. She looked young enough, but I knew better. Her unsettlingly deep brown eyes were clearly ancient, and held many secrets and stories.

The gathering had been pulled together at the last moment, and with the civilians and creatures being evacuated, it was only to include myself, Gabe, Evie and Micah. The latter stood on the left hand side between Gabe and I, and I could feel his eyes on me. Turning my head slightly to face him, I flashed him a toothy grin as he put his hand on Gabe's shoulder. Micah was dressed in a deep green suit, with a black button up shirt underneath. A small black cloth was tucked into his pocket. Gabe was dressed in white, a sky blue shirt unbuttoned at the top, and a piece of lavender tucked into his buttonhole.

I'd been dressed in an A-line silk dress the colour of the sky before dawn breaks; Somewhere between a soft sky blue and a lilac. The short sleeves hung loosely to my mid upper arm and the bottom of the dress flowed to my ankles. A long split in the dress allowed for easy walking. I'd left my hair out and it had been laid straight, and pinned on one side. My necklace hung around my neck, and felt warm against my skin.

The soft sound of rising music drifted towards us as we all turned to see Evie.

The sheer sweetheart neckline was delicately covered in a soft blush lace, and pulled in tightly to her small waistline. The soft off-shoulder sleeves washed down her arms like streams and wrapped tightly around her wrists. The bottom of the dress matched the sleeves. Her hair was pinned back, and her soft curls fell down her back. The back of her hair had been pinned with lavender, I noticed, to match Gabe's buttonhole. Her feet were bare, except for flowers which ran across her foot and wrapped up around her legs to her knees, visible when she held the front of it up.

Turning back to face Gabe, his eyes swelling with love and adoration for her. Glancing back at her, the feelings were reflected on her face. The priestess began the ceremony with a blessing.

"Giveth thou heart to the wild magic,
To the Lord and the Lady of Nature.

Understand them, bless them, offer them truth,
Be one with the power of the elements.

Be loyal to the Lord of the Wild Wood,
Be true to the Lady of the Stars,
Be true to one's own self but remember,
Always remain true to the magic of Nature of the old one above all else" she finished.

She spoke a little of the power of marriage, and then Gabe recited his vows first.

"There shall be one end for us both, one bond after our vows; Our love shall not aimlessly perish. Happy am I to have won the joy of such a beauty. I shall not go down in loneliness to the god of Sariel" he spoke.

A shiver ran down my spine at the words, and I pushed the thoughts away. My eyes flicked to Evie, who met mine for a brief moment. A slight nod to me, to show she heard, she cared.

Evie spoke next, reciting the last of their vows.

"So let the encircling bonds grip my throat in the midst, the final anguish shall bring with it pleasure only, as we will meet again in the afterlife, and death shall prove to have its own delights. Each world holds joy, and in the next one we shall find each other, our united souls will find faithfulness in endless love for all eternity" she finished, her eyes shining bright with happiness.

When Evie had told me of their plans to elope before the war, my heart painfully leapt out of my chest at the bittersweet moment. She explained that in her family, for those to find each other again, a unity had to be formed. She didn't want to take any chances. She wanted to make sure no matter what, that they would find each other again.

They each placed their rings on one another, a plain gold band for Gabe, and a gold leaved band to match Evie's engagement ring. Their commitment was sealed with a ribbon around each of their wrists, and then with a kiss. My heart swelled and exploded. Micah and I cheered together, and we watched as the sun began to set behind us.

I looked toward Micah who's eyes were already on me.

From the moment he rescued me from certain death at the hands of certain death, he had truly been my guardian angel. Even in my moments of uncertainty, distrust and caution, he never pushed for more. He never forced things from me, expected me to do others. There was no pressure here. He had given me something everyone in my life thus far had failed to give. Absolute freedom.

Freedom to make my own choices, to be my own person. Freedom to deal with heartache, loss and death through my own ways. He was a silent blessing in those moments. The nightmares faded with him around me. The horrors I'd faced throughout my life seemed easier to breathe through with his help.

Micah could make me laugh on the darkest of days, and when the nights grew dark and fearful, I never truly feared it because I knew that he would be the guiding star to guide me home. I would always do the same. For as long as I could, I would always vow to protect him.

I vowed then and there to always find him in the next life, wherever it might take me. I would never stop looking for him. I felt it in my heart. I knew our connection ran deeper than just his soul living within me. He loved me in every sense of the word. He adored me, protected me, rescued me. Just as I did for him. It would always be for him. I would live and die for him.

He would be the reason. He would always be my reason.

A small tug of a smile at me had me sending one in return.

I love you I mouthed to him

Until the end he replied.