13

The moon was almost to the highest peak in the sky as every warrior, creature and civilian waited with bated breath. Frontline warriors and creatures lined the field, standing together as a united front, while the less experienced lingered a tad further back. No one knew what was coming, or when.

Evie and I had been positioned on one of the higher peaks in the forest with the rest of the armed shooters. We were told to stay hidden until absolutely necessary by both Gabe and Micah.

"How are you holding up?" Evie whispered to me, her eyes wide and fearful.

"I'm okay" I said, and I truly felt it. I felt as though I'd accepted what was to come, and I knew that in the long run, it would all be okay. Her head bobbed in a quick nod of understanding. She gripped my hand tightly within hers as we both watched the field, where Gabe and Micah had positioned themselves.

"How do you think -" Evie started, but a rumble across the field had the hushed whispers die off immediately. A second rumble, this time louder, shook the ground we stood on. Every single one of us stood on guard, the bowmen loading their bows, ready to shoot on command.

A lone figure stepped across the field, the moonlight shining against his armor. I recognized Lucifer even from such a far distance. He wore all black, much like the angels did, but his warriors did not. As they stepped out of the shadows, a sharp exhale of panic escaped my throat, and Evie's hand gripped all the more tighter.

Hundreds upon hundreds of creatures stepped out into the moons light. Broken angels, with their heavy ravens wings, dressed in uniforms of a bloody red for battle. Some dark creatures I recognized. The hell hounds who were seated beside lucifer were the first I could see. There were groups of wendigos and soul snatchers standing together, unwilling to move away from their own kind it seemed, and then there were other creatures. Some of them were as dark as the night, red eyes glowing and sharp claws dragging across the ground.

"Skrzaks" Evie whimpered beside me, her eyes locked onto it.

I shivered to think of just what those creatures were capable of, and I wasn't brave enough to ask. Lucifer and his army stopped roughly one hundred yards from where Micah stood, at the head of his army. Behind Lucifer, I could make out the figures of the witches I'd once lived amongst, who owed Lucifer a debt and now spent eternity repaying it. Beside him, a venomous snake disguised in a woman's body clung to his arm. Serilda. My teeth clenched together so hard I thought they might chip.

"Michael..." Lucifer called, as if summoning a dog. I watched Micah step forward, as did Gabe and a small brigade of other warriors. I recalled meeting a few of them. I nocked own arrow and holding it steady, just in case something or someone tried to attack any of them.

"Lucifer" Micah's voice replied. Cold and unyielding. Like the true warrior he was made to be.

"It seems you have assembled quite the entourage of soldiers in such a short space of time. It will be a pity to tear through them so quickly" he laughed, turning to his soldiers as his dark angels joined in on the jeering.

"Lucifer, it doesn't have to be this way. We have lived in peace for eras. Why are you willing to change this now?" Micah asked, as Lucifer pulled his attention back to where Micah was standing, his expression hardened.

"Peace? I have never been at peace Michael. I have lived entirely too long with others standing on my neck or standing in my way. I will not allow it to happen any longer" he replied, his demeanor slipping slightly to show the anger hidden beneath it.

"You are willing to bring a bloody war onto the hollowed grounds of Taevas for what? Revenge?" Gabe snorted, "that is something a coward would do" he finished. I could almost hear the sneer in his words. Gabe was angry. I was angry too. Innocent people were about to die, and he couldn't care less.

"Oh Gabriel" Lucifer said with a sigh, "Only a coward would marry his love on the eve of a battle because he fears dying and never being able to find her again" he replied, and I felt Evie tense beside me. Tucking her hand in mine, I squeezed. Gabe made to move forward, but I could see two soldiers step up and tug him back. Thank the Gods, I couldn't stomach seeing anything happen to Gabe. Not now.

"That's a good dog Gabriel, lie down when you're told to!" Lucifer laughed, and the dark angels behind him laughed along. I curled my lip. How could I have ever cared for someone so horrible and completely dead inside? I knew the answer as I asked myself the question.

Not me, never me. Almost in response, the dark part of my soul shuddered in response.

"Is there no way for us to make peace without war?" Raz said, stepping up beside Micah.

Lucifer laughed, a cruel wicked sound that carried across the field with the wind.

"You have what is mine, and I will take it back before this night is done" he snarled. The dark creatures behind him began to stir, feeling restless with the taste for blood. They wanted it; A quick and bloody battle.

"She does not belong to anyone" Micah answered. Lucifer's attention snapped towards where I was hidden amongst the trees. His answering smile sent my way caused a shiver to creep its way right down into my bones.

"Adeline, if you come out now and give yourself to me willingly, I will allow this war to be called off. I will leave this place and these people in peace" he said, and some of the angels shifted on their feet but no one turned, or shifted to face me.

We had spoken about this possibility, but Micah gently advised at the time that either way there would be a war, and it would be better for us to face it now, instead of if Lucifer's soul was whole and dark. He was right.

War would come either way, and with me still alive, we had a fighting change. I held my ground, as did those around me, in front of me.

He waited a heartbeat, then two before sighing dramatically.

"Adeline, you've just made a very poor decision... I suppose I shall take it by force then" he said. Lucifer spoke out loud before turning to his soldiers, a hand raised and casually waved in our direction.

"Kill them all" was all he said, before all hell was unleashed on us.