"You are goin to look me straight in the face and call me a fool then boy?" Tate could see the anger in his dad's blue eyes, but also knew it was reflected in his.

"Yes sir. Megan grew up on a ranch and she knows exactly what needs to be done. After her accident, she had to learn new ways of doin things but you would be amazed at what she does do. Sure she can't do everythin, and she was strugglin after her no-good-city-slicker cousin left her high and dry and that's where I came in." Tate said coldly. His father just nodded slowly.

"The knight in shining armor? What's to say she ain't just usin you?" Tate shook his head and slammed his empty coffee cup down in the sink.

"Dad you don't know her. She is the nicest, kindest person alive and I love her. If you forgot she's the only reason why I'm here. And trust me, I ain't really her knight in shining armor. I help around the ranch and that's it, but that girl ain't no damsel in distress. The girl sleepin in my old room right now? She's the only reason I'm here, and to be frank with you, the only reason I'm still alive. I was gettin to the end of my rope when I stumbled across her path like 8 months ago. So no dad, she ain't usin me. She's the one who saved me." It was dead silent in the kitchen and Tate turned to storm out into the yard. Just as he got to the door, his dad stood and laid a hand on his shoulder.

"Alright son. I get you. I just wanted to make sure she ain't gonna hurt you more than you've already been hurt." Tate swallowed hard and turned back to look at his dad. His throat went dry when he saw the expression on his dad's face. Love was shining out clear as day and Tate wanted to hug the old man, but refrained. They weren't the type to show emotion.

"Thanks dad."

"Mmm. And I really am glad you are back home boy." Together the three of them headed out to the barn, while Gunner filled Tate in on the long day ahead of him.

*****

Megan had woken up late and had wheeled into the bathroom to find a chair placed in the tub for her and a note from Tate.

'I'm goin work with Dad and Gunner so that tour I promised may not happen until this evening. I hope this chair works and if you need help, mama will be more than happy to help you. Love you darlin and have a great day.'

She had felt a little sad at the prospect of not spending the day with Tate, but had reminded herself that he needed guy time with his dad and brother after being away for so long. She hadn't expected to not see him all day though. After her shower, she had gone out to the kitchen where Caroline had greeted her and informed her that the men would be out all day and had taken a lunch to eat on the road. Megan had enjoyed her day with Caroline, and had helped the older woman bake, and tidy a bit. Lissa had been no where to be seen and Caroline had informed her in an apologetic voice that she had gone off with some friends. Megan didn't mind. Now it was late afternoon and she was sitting on the porch with Caroline, sipping on ice cold sweet tea.

"This is the best sweet tea I have ever had." Megan complimented and closed her eyes as the cold liquid drained down her throat. She heard Caroline chuckle and opened her eyes to look at the other woman. They were both seated in the rocking chairs, but Caroline's moved back and forth in a steady rocking motion and Megan's was still since she couldn't use her legs to push.

"Oh thank you honey. It's an old recipe, passed down through the women in my family. Maybe someday, I'll pass it on to you." There was a glint in her eye's and Megan just ducked her head and blushed.

"I think it's a little to soon to be hoping for anything like that." She murmured, trying not to feel butterflies at the thought of her and Tate getting married.

"Hmmm. My son loves you. I've never seen him love a girl like that." Megan lifted her head and looked at the woman with sorrow.

"Maybe so, but he could do so much better than me. He deserves someone able bodied, someone who could stand beside him and help him on his ranch. He deserves someone who could fulfill his needs and who could give him strong sons and daughters. I know I'm not that person." An ache filled Megan's chest as she admitted to this woman feelings that she had never even admitted to herself. Feelings that even if Tate ever proposed to her, that she might have to turn him down because she would never be the one he needed.

"Oh honey no." Caroline reached out her hand and took Megan's, caressing it softly. Megan felt the work roughened hand gently stroking hers and tears started falling down her face. She had longed for a mother for so long and she could only imagine that this was how a mother was. She looked up into very sad brown eyes.

"But how can I be good enough for him?" She whispered and watched as Caroline closed her eyes in pain briefly before looking back at her.

"That's a question every woman asks herself, disabled or not. But I can assure you sweetie, that you are more than enough for my son. I know him and I know he ain't the type to fulfill physical desires, before emotional ones. He was wild back in his day, and I'm sure he still was before he met you but that was just because he hadn't found anyone who his heart loved yet. Despite his wish for children, I think he would rather spend his life with you than anyone else, even if that someone else could give him hundreds of children. And you never know. God grants miracles far, far beyond our understandin sugar. Besides you don't give yourself enough credit honey. You talk about him needin someone able bodied and strong, someone who can stand beside him, but I know in my heart that he's found her." Tears were trickling down Megan's face and she squeezed the other woman's hand.

"Thank you." She whispered and looked up to see tears running down Caroline's cheeks too.

"Your welcome darlin. I just beg you to let him decide when it comes down to it. Don't let your insecurities stand in the way of love, and don't try to do what is best for him. In the end he knows what is best for him and the Lord will guide him. So don't reject my son if he asks for your love."

"I'll try not too." The two woman sat for a while in silence, looking out over the ranch and drinking their sweet tea. About half an hour later, the men rode back into the yard.

"Here's our men. Hungry as an army I'll bet. I guess we better get dinner on the table." Caroline stood and watched as Megan pulled herself into her wheelchair. She shook her head slightly. "And you don't think you are strong." Megan blushed and followed her back into the house. Just as they were laying the last dish on the table the door burst open and the men spilled in the door, laughing and jostling each other. Megan watched Brett go over to his wife and kiss her, murmuring that he missed her. Tate came over to her grinning ear to ear. He bent and placed a gentle kiss on her lips.

"Hey darlin. Thought about you all day." She blushed and swatted at him, but allowed him to kiss her again, catching the look of disgust on Gunner's face.

"Good grief. A man can't even be single in peace around these parts." He huffed, pulling out a chair and sitting down. Everyone laughed, and settled in to eat supper.

****

It was late evening and the sun was starting to go down. Tate glanced over at Megan from where she sat in the old farm truck. He was showing her around the ranch and after he had brought her to meet the horses, the pigs, and the chickens, he had loaded her into the truck to drive her around to some of the pastures.

"So what do you think so far?" He asked tentatively and she smiled.

"I love it here. It's so pretty and your family is so nice." He felt contentment wash over him and he beamed at the girl he loved so much.

"So you and my mama get along good? Did you have a good day with her?" She nodded emphatically.

"I love her Tate. I don't know how you left them all." Pain hit him square in the chest and he bit his lip. Gazing out at the son going down in the pasture, highlighting the shapes of the cows and the scrub brush a little more, he shook his head.

"I don't know either." He finally whispered and Megan leaned over to lay a soft kiss on his cheek. They completed the rest of the tour in near silence, Tate pointing out some landmarks, telling memories associated with certain things, and telling her more about the land and how ranching differed from Montana to Texas. Soon they were heading back to the house as stars and fireflies lit up the night sky and frogs croaked up a storm.

"I love seeing where you grew up Tate, and I'm starting to love it here." She whispered as he parked the truck in front of the house.

"I'm glad. I like it better here with you, than I did before you came along. You make everythin better." He bent to kiss her as she laughed and teased him about how cheesy he was. After a long, deep kiss he pulled back and helped her back into the house. He didn't know how to tell her how serious he really was, and didn't know how to express the emotion of love building up inside her. Instead he settled for helping her get ready for bed and then snuggling close to her, while being surrounded by his old room.