It's a brother thing

Start from the beginning

My brothers, cousins, and their girlfriends and boyfriends watched us, smiling. Kaylee and I stood there, kissing. I didn't care who saw us. I met no one like Kaylee and wanted to find out more.

Nash

My brothers and I stood off in the distance as Caleb and Cody walked over to us. We heard a chainsaw behind us and turned to see someone in a costume holding a chainsaw. The person turned off the chainsaw and removed their mask, revealing a grinning Carson.

Carson walked over to us. "I thought you guys got out of the matchmaking game?" Carson asked us.

"And deal with Ma, yeah, no thanks," Nathan answered.

"Is this going to affect Presley and Kaylee at work?" Nolan asked Caleb.

"I don't think so. With the job, Presley is a professional. He only covered for Eliza because he thought that's what you do for someone you love," Caleb answered.

"At what cost?" Noah asked.

"Love makes you do dumb things," Cody answered.

"Yeah, young and dumb," Nixon remarked, looking at Nolan, who rolled his eyes.

I shook my head as I looked at Presley. I watched my kids struggle along with my grandkids. The one that struggled the most was Presley when Eliza died. Each kid struggled in their way, but Presley reminded me of myself.

"Nash?" Nixon asked.

I looked at Nixon.

"What?" Nixon asked.

"Sometimes, we need guidance from brothers to show us the way," I answered as my brothers smiled along with the triplets.

I was the oldest of the kids and made my fair share of mistakes, but I had my brothers help me. When you're a brother, you have a unique bond. You fight and argue, but no one has your back like your brothers.

We turned and walked away as we all talked. It's a brother thing.

Presley

I broke from our kiss and looked at Kaylee. "So, I thought maybe we could go on a date," I suggested.

"On one condition," Kaylee mentioned.

"What's that?" I asked.

"As long as you don't say it's no big deal because a date is a big deal," Kaylee reminded me with a look.

I smiled and chuckled. "How about we enjoy the rest of the night?" I asked.

"Sure, why not?" Kaylee mentioned.

"Come on, Presley! We're going on the hayride!" Payton yelled.

Kaylee and I walked towards the hayride, glancing at each other and smiling. There was something about this girl that intrigued me.

We reached the wagon of hay, and Parker reached down. I helped Kaylee up, then grabbed Parker's hand, getting into the cart. We sat down on a bale of hay. After everyone sat on a bale of hay, the driver secured the tailgate, then climbed upfront. He pulled out as we sat around and talked.

I had a feeling Kaylee would flip my world upside down but in the right way.

Nora

Drake and I rode on the hayride with everyone. Every time he tried to hold my hand, I kept my hands to myself. I caught Mason looking at me. Then Skylar had to get him to stop. Yeah, this was a fun hayride.

Between Drake trying to make a move and my ex shooting me daggers, I should have stayed home. I only came because of Presley and Kaylee. The hayride came to a stop. I got up, making my way to the end, stepping over everyone. The others looked at me with confusion.

I got off of the wagon. I ignored where I was walking, tripped, and fell right into the mud. The others stood up as Drake got off the hayride. He helped me up and looked at me covered in mud.

"Do you mind catching a ride with someone else? I had my car detailed recently," Drake mentioned.

I looked at Drake incredulously.

"Thanks, you're a peach. I'll call you later," Drake said, walking away. Great, not only did I humiliate myself, but my date abandoned me. I had to save face because I know Mason was looking for a chance to rub my nose in it.

I turned around and looked at everyone who looked at me with concern.

"I think I'll go," I said.

Presley got down and walked over to me. "I'll give you a ride home," he said.

"It's okay. I don't want to ruin your night. I'll be fine," I said.

"Nora," Presley said.

"I'm good," I assured Presley, turning and walking away. Tonight sums up how my life is at the moment.

Kaylee

That wasn't right, and Drake is a dick. I ran after Nora as Presley ran after me.

"Nora!" I yelled, catching up to Nora. She stopped and turned to face me. Presley caught up with us. I looked at Nora with concern. She started crying as I hugged her. Sometimes a person needs a little kindness.

The others caught up with us. Nora wiped her eyes.

"Come on, we'll take you back to the dorm room," I said, referring to Presley and me. Nora nodded, and we took her home. Britt joined us.

Nora and Britt sat in the backseat as Presley and I sat in the front seat. Nora said nothing as Presley took us back. Once he arrived, he parked, and we got out of the car. We went up to the dorm room, and Nora went to take a shower.

I sat down on my bed as Britt sat down on Nora's bed. Presley sat in a chair.

"What an ass?" I mentioned, causing Presley and Britt to look at me. "Who leaves someone behind because they don't want their car's interior dirty?"

"A tool," Presley answered.

"I don't like Drake," Britt mentioned.

"No shit," Presley mumbled.

After twenty minutes, the bathroom door opened, and Nora came out. We looked at her.

"Don't say it. I have the worst luck with guys," Nora sighed.

"Well, you wouldn't if you admitted your feelings for Matthew," Presley mentioned.

Britt and I looked at Presley. "Really? Do you think this is the time?" I asked.

"What? It's not like there's any other time," Presley answered.

"Don't be a dingleberry," I told Presley, who shrugged.

"Let's face it; tonight didn't go well. Between Mason shooting me daggers and my date leaving, I'm doing so well," Nora said sarcastically.

"Mason's a tool," Presley remarked.

"Who's Mason?" I asked, feeling confused.

"Mason is my cousin and Nora's ex. He told Nora to choose between Matthew and him. So she picked Matthew," Presley explained.

"Who's Matthew?" I asked.

"Matthew is my other cousin," Presley answered, surprising me.

"You seem confused," Britt said with a look.

"No, I find it intriguing that the guys in this family draw people to them. It's like they have this magnetic personality," I reasoned.

"No, the Grays are a special breed. To know them is to wonder what the hell you're thinking?" Britt retorted.

Presley looked at Britt incredulously, and Nora rolled her eyes. I laughed. I had a feeling I was in for craziness with Presley and his family.