Chapter 12 - Riding the Ferris wheel of death

Right below us a scene of utter terror unfolded. Of course it had to be the only day I ever went to the Super day festival that something bad happened at it.

            I watched as Tornado flew in from behind us, landing gracefully next to The Marvel on stage.

            His super suit was different from the supers that had preceded him. Instead of his whole face covered, only the top half of his face was hidden by his mask, revealing a sharp jaw line and sparkling white teeth that were visible even from my height. He sported a dark violet suit with black boots, gloves, mask, and belt and a black tornado on his chest.

            I had to admit, the super had everyone dumbstruck. He was  so graceful with his moves and he didn't even back down from one of the best supers of our time. And yes, I just called The Marvel one of the best supers in our time, get over it.

            "Why hello old friend," Tornado greeted The Marvel.

            Tornado's voice lifted all the way to where me and Lacey were still stuck in the Ferris wheel. It seemed that the ride had stopped completely. Everyone's gaze was completely fixed on the two most powerful people in the city.

            "Tornado, leave this place now, or you'll regret it." The Marvel warned.

            I felt like we were all in an old west movie and this was the point where we all hide in our shacks and watch through peep holes at the faceoff between the good guy and the bad guy in the middle of the street.

            "That's too bad," Tornado pouted, "I was hoping we could do this the hard way."

            "What? No one ever-"

            Before our very eyes, Tornado pushes The Marvel off the stage with a huge gust of wind. The Marvel crashes into the nearest building, the pharmacy, causing bricks to fall making a gigantic crater in the foundation of the pharmacy. Broken pieces of brick crumbled to the ground. A thick cloud of dust rose and clouded the sky as the structure groaned and, as if it were made of twigs, collapsed.

            Tornado smiled with an expression that suggests that he wasn't all that sane in the head, and walked towards the crater.

            And that was when the panic started to set in.

            People started running in every direction, trying to get away from the now raging battle on main street. Kids were crying and mothers were screaming in terror. People were tripping over each other to get out of the way of the debris.

            And then there were the ones who were stuck on the Ferris wheel. The ones who were closer to the ground just jumped off, or attempted to climb down, but the rest of us were stuck. Lacey and I watched the fight, hoping that it wouldn't come this way. But of course, when had anything ever gone the way I needed it to.