Breakdown

Chapter 23 - recap

"Come on Luce, you're safe now alright?" Natsu says gently. I nod in response. He gets out and walks around and opens my door. I unbuckle and he lifts me out of the car and in his arms. Victor opens the door when we reach it. Natsu says nothing as he carries me right to his room.

• * •

Chapter 24 - Breakdown

I lay awake in Natsu's room as he slept. He passed out soon after we got to his room. He had been like that all day, and I hadn't moved from my spot next to him. He was warm and comforting without even being awake. I had my hand and arm resting on his bare chest and my head was rested on his shoulder.

I thought about school, and my recent decision to show my classmates my hidden talent. I'd finish writing my song and show them--and possibly the world, my music. I let out a deep sigh. Natsu's arm automatically tightened around my protectively. I couldn't help but smile. Even in his sleep he knew when I needed comfort.

I looked at his relaxed face, taking in his features. His soft lips where parted slightly, and his nose moved with every breath he took. His eyes where less firm and powerful. His pink hair was tousled and messy from sleep. I closed my eyes and thought about his proposal.

"You have to hide from me. If I catch you," he pauses and his grin widens, "you have to say you will marry me after graduation."

I reach for my neck, expecting to feel the chain and locket. Instead I felt only skin where it should have been. I immediately shot up and began looking for it. After looking around Natsu's room and coming up empty handed I raced across the hall. I searched around frantically for it. I tore apart my room looking.

"No, it can't be gone," I sobbed. I blindly ran down the hall towards the sitting room searching for it.

"Lucy? Are you alright?" Wendy peeked into the room.

"I lost something really important," I sigh, sitting on my knees, "a necklace your brother gave me."

"What did it look like?" She stepped into the room farther.

"It was gold, and had NxL engraved in the front of the locket," I describe the piece to her in as much detail as possible. She reaches in her pocket and slowly walks towards me. When she removed her hand it's closed in a tight fist.

"Open your hands," she instructed me. I hesitantly did so, glancing at her with confusion dancing in my eyes and features. She holds her closed fist over my hand and suddenly opens it. The locket tumbled through the air and into my palm. The second the chain connected with my skin my fingers closed around it and I held it to my chest.

"I saw it in the snow outside the broken window. I tried to stop Natsu to give it to him but he just ran saying he had to find you," she explains. I look up at her.

"He just, ran through the snow?" I stretched out each word. Wendy nodded, her blue locks bobbing with motion.

"He didn't wait to get a car to go to the police?" I ask, pushing myself to my feet.

Wendy shook her head. "As far as I know he bolted into the snow following what tracks he found," she shrugged. He must have run to the police. And then to Sting's... just for me.

I quickly clapped the chain around my neck again after thanking Wendy. I crossed the hall back to Natsu's room where he was still sound asleep. I sat on the side of his bed, running my hand through his hair, moving it out of his face.

"Shining bright up in the sky, you soar above me as I dream to fly.

The only dream I ever had was staying with you by your side.

But for a girl like me dreams can only be dreams.

Reality is cold and it is dark," I stopped to take a breath.

"You are a light, a burning flame.

I'm ice cold and I'm the one to blame.

Please save me from this darker place, save me with your soaring grace.

I only want this single dream, please keep me from my dark reality.

Give me hope, a single ray of dignity.

A small glance at the sky above, would give me the embrace of your satin glove.

Just hold me tight.

Don't let me go.

Keep me from hate's-" Natsu's hand shoots over to mine startling me.

"Luce," he breathes, his eyes still closed. I hold his hand with a tight grip. I owed him so much, yet I could give so little in return.

Natsu opens his eyes and looks up at me. "Hey beautiful," he reaches his arms around my waist.

"You do so much for me... yet I can't do anything in return," I whisper. Natsu sits up.

"Hey, hey come here," He beckons me closer to him. I move closer and he pulls me against him.

"I do it because I love you, alright? I don't care if I get anything in return. Well, maybe your love," I feel him smirk into my neck.

"Natsu..." I giggle softly.

"You're mine, only mine," he murmured into the skin of my neck. I sighed softly, content with the current situation. I had a feeling Christmas would be good.

• * •

Chapter 25 - A Day in the Kitchen - preview

I laughed as Wendy made faces at me.

"Lucy! Look out!" She cried as laugher shook her body. I shrieked as Natsu blew flour at me.

"NATSU!!" I yelled at him, nearly rolling in laughter.