1. O.N.

O.N.👍🏻

I straightened out my blue floral gown for the last time before putting on the diamond pendant around my neck. I looked into the mirror nodding in satisfaction at my appearance clipping my hair to put it into a nice bun. At a very young age, I was taught to take care of my appearance because as my mother said, there's no way a chief's daughter can step a foot out of the house without looking like she has devoured beauty from the angels themselves.

 At a very young age, I was taught to take care of my appearance because as my mother said, there's no way a chief's daughter can step a foot out of the house without looking like she has devoured beauty from the angels themselves

A knock on the door caught my attention. "Miss, your father has asked you to hurry up" my maid Sarah spoke bowing her head down. Sara was an elderly woman in her 50's. She's seen me grow up from a child to a young woman and taken care of me and my siblings when our mother died about 10 years ago. "Okay Sarah" I said standing up but my steps halted hearing Sarah let out an audible gasp. "Miss why are you not covering your face!?" she asked rushing towards me and covering my face with a cloth placed on the table beside my dresser. "You never know when one of those shepherds may share their misfortune with you" she said clicking her tongue.

Shepherds, in our society were considered a curse. I never knew why. The only thing I've ever heard is, if a Shepherd lays his eyes on your uncovered face, his misfortune will be shared with you and you will be doomed for a lifetime. Sarah placed the cloth just below my eyes and tied it around my head. I thanked her and walked to the porch where I was met with my father, older brother and younger sister. I bowed at them as a sign of respect and sat in the car with my head held up in pride.

In the year 1850, not many people had cars, only the chief and socially high-class people were wealthy enough to buy a lavish car

In the year 1850, not many people had cars, only the chief and socially high-class people were wealthy enough to buy a lavish car. Whereas the poor ride on a horse. Hence, for mine and my father's pride, I was restricted from ever riding a horse. That wouldn't be so bothersome anyway. I along with my acquaintances stepped out of the car with our heads held high while the others bowed at us in respect. If you're wondering, today is the holy day when all of us bow our heads to the goddesses of love, peace,prosperity, wealth and food to bless this small village never-ending happiness and prosperity.
This prayer had to be carried out in the presence of all the villagers, including shepherds that I mostly try my best to avoid.

Among the crowd of numerous people, a boy had managed to catch my attention. Unlike others, he didn't have his head bowed, infact he had an amused expression on his face as he eyed my up and down before winking at me. His hair fell on his forhead in curls messily while his clothes were covered in mud. 'Shepherds definitely do lack some manners' I thought. I walked towards the chair placed in the front for me passing by the unknown boy. I could feel his eyes follow me but I payed no mind to it. I gracefully sat down with my hands folded in front of me as the prayer soon began.

I closed my eyes taking a deep breath in as I heard the priest chant the words of prosperity and peace

I closed my eyes taking a deep breath in as I heard the priest chant the words of prosperity and peace. However, I could feel someone's eyes on me making my eyebrows furrow. At this point, I had lost my focus anyway so I turned back only to find the same shepherd guy staring at me making me scowl at him. He raised his arms in defense and turned away. Sure he was undeniably handsome but he was still a shepherd and shepherds are the best when they are far away from you. I closed my eyes again concentrating on the chants.

The prayer was over and it was the time for the Chief's, my father's speech.
He stood infront of the huge crowd as the people cheered and clapped for him. "As every year, we've prayed for the peace and prosperity of this village and I hope that the holy goddesses shower us with their love and blessings". The claps grew louder at his speech before he silenced them and continued "I also hope that any kind of misfortunes lingering in this village gets picked out and thrown away from the goddesses themselves and if they do not, then I hope they atleast know better than to share their misfortune with others" he said eyeing the shepherds. A few people cheered agreeing with him while the rest just clapped.

I turned around to find the guy's hands curled into fists as he gazed at my father with a look of pure hatred and anger. The prayer soon came to an end and now it was time for the annual celebrations. Varieties of mouth watering dishes, sweets and drinks were spread on the table accompanied by country music that people danced to. I looked around noticing that most of te people that danced were shepherds while the wealthier ones remained in their seats including me. I guess it was because of the unspoken rule to not engage in anything that may degrade your social status especially, if it includes shepherds.

Both of my siblings excused themselves to do what not while I calmly remained seated under the huge oak tree that shadowed the venue. Too lost in my thoughts I didn't notice the presence beside me before I heard a husky voice saying "Not in the mood of dancing miss?" . I turned to find the same shepherd guy looking at me with his dark brown eyes. Not bothering to socialize with him, mostly because I know I'd be thrashed if my father were to find out about me conversing with a shepherd, I looked away from him.

"Oh how rude of me to not introduce myself" he said before he stood in front of me. One leg behind another, a hand placed on his back while the other remained on his chest as he bowed at me, something those of lower social status did to show respect to the reputed ones "I am Kim Taehyung"

 One leg behind another, a hand placed on his back while the other remained on his chest as he bowed at me, something those of lower social status did to show respect to the reputed ones "I am Kim Taehyung"

Hey sweetie, you like that story?💜 Show some love by voting👇