XXXIV | Everleigh Afternoon

Start from the beginning

Seven returned his beseeching eyes to Sasha. "Should I give in?" she asked through pursed lips.

"No."

"But he looks so wretched."

"Well then, yes, but do not make another fuss if he repeats the same action on another dress."

Sasha moistened her lips and closed her eyes. "No, Seven, you stay to that corner."

Seven whimpered and his head fell. Slowly, he walked to the corner of the room, and Sasha blinked in amazement. "He truly does have a corner."

"And he hates it," West said with a scoff. He slid the wine he prepared for Sasha across the table between them.

And once again, they sat there beside the window, looking out into the silhouette of the woods and the mountains at the horizon. The sky, displaying blue, violet, and pink seemed to promise a beautiful tomorrow as it said goodbye. But they could never truly tell, could they? For the storm may come and cause havoc.

Sasha wondered if they would succeed. She was risking too much all for the truth—all for a woman she had never even met.

And all because she chose to trust a man.

She sipped her wine and swallowed, closing her eyes at the soothing warmth that spread through her chest as the liquid passed.

"I did not lie so much, you see," she said, breaking the silence between them, her lashes sweeping up from her glass to him.

A ghost of a smile. "You simply hid the truth. It seems to be your habit, but I cannot blame you for it."

"You think so?"

"I believe so, Sasha." His gaze held hers. "We all have a way of protecting ourselves."

She moved her glass and watched the dark liquid swirl inside. "I was in the Court of Libraries for five years before I was re-courted."

Her eyes retraced their path back to his and she saw the surprise registered there. "You mean to say that you are a new Belle."

She sighed. "I was the unlucky lady to be chosen to become a Belle so I could spy on you."

"Does it always happen? These missions? Are they true to all Belles?"

Sasha flashed him a lazy knowing smile. "You know I cannot tell you that, but you are wise. I am certain you have long figured."

He scoffed. "Belcourt is playing a dangerous game."

"As I have discovered, it has been for years."

She could feel his gaze on her while she watched the colors slowly disappear in the horizon. "You do not enjoy being a Belle, do you, Sasha?"

She nodded. "It may be exciting for someone who had spent their life inside Belcourt, but the excitement quickly wore off for me. The Belles are one of the women who have the most freedom in Belcourt, but not really. We are constantly watched, our movements always monitored by someone outside if not by our servants."

"But you can enjoy privileges that the other courts cannot."

"You mean such as the attentions of gentlemen?"

He shrugged.

"Perhaps, but it has its limitations, does it not?"

She could tell that he understood what she meant.

"Do you want to go back to the Library?"

She nodded, tearing her eyes off him. "Yes. I had made a bargain when I accepted this mission. I asked that Belcourt reconsider my request to return to the Library if I succeed."

"You mean if you find something that shall incriminate me."

She shook her head. "If I can prove that you are innocent or not, both of which I can do." Then, in a teasing tone, she added, "Your life is in my hands, sir."

West shook his head.

The small smile lingered on her lips as Sasha thought of the day when this would all be over. She may never have another chance to return to the Library, and if that were so, she did not think she could remain as his Belle.

She would eventually lose him.

With a long sigh, West stood and took the single step toward her. Sasha stared up at him, her hand absently replacing her wine on the table.

Eyes locked, he reached for her hand and she let him. She stood and stepped into his embrace, the feeling akin to that night she arrived in Belcourt. It was not the feeling of being drenched in rain; not the feeling of hunger and cold after walking for days, but it was the feeling of finally arriving at a safe place—it was a haven.

He was sanctuary.

West bent his head and nuzzled her ear. "Do you think this changed because we know each other's secrets?" he whispered softly, his breath warm in her ear.

"No," she replied, running her hand up to his chest, over his shoulder, to rest on his neck.

"Do you think I deliberately left out this part from the agreement?"

His lips sought hers, hovering a hairsbreadth away. Sasha smiled, aware of the current that ran through her as her lips lightly touched his. "Yes."

He smiled. "Why?"

"We learned from our mistakes?" she asked as his arms tightened around hers. "And because I would hate it if you did."

West groaned and captured her lips in a searing kiss.