Chapter Nine

Annie is beginning to feel like she might never figure out what kind of hero she is supposed to be. In fact, she isn't even sure there's a need for a superhero in her town today. But she isn't ready to give up yet. There is one more place that might need someone with special powers—the bridge over the river that runs through the middle of town. It's still five blocks away, but if it means saving the world, it will be worth the long journey even though she is feeling tired and her feet are beginning to hurt.

"Witz, I think we need to try the bridge. I know you must be exhausted, but we have to see."

Approaching the bridge, Annie looks up at the steel cables helping support it. Rising so high, it's almost impossible for her to see the top.

As Annie walks along the bridge's sidewalk, she stops in the middle to look around for some sort of disaster, even a tiny one. Looking one way, she sees cars humming along in both directions. She looks the other way and sees people walking calmly down the sidewalks. She even looks down and sees a few boats pass safely under the bridge. Just like the rest of town, everything seems fine.

"Well, Witz," Annie sighs heavily, "It doesn't look like they need us here either. Maybe it's just time for us to go home." Sadly, Annie throws her cape over her shoulder, Witz steadies himself with resolve, and together, they slowly KA-PLINK KA-PLUNK away from the bridge.