"And don't be late this time."

Michael Gray Imagine #2

"No, hang that higher. Make sure it wont fall!" I called up to Arthur who was stood on a ladder.

      "Yeah, alright." Arthur responded, raising the banner up a few inches. His subtle eye roll did not go unnoticed.

      "I saw that, Arthur!" I shouted back as I walked over to the bar where Ada and John sat.     I took a seat in between the both of them, glancing over at John's attempts to make birthday invitations. I stifled a laugh which John caught onto, earning myself a shove in return.     "So Ada, what have we got for catering?" I asked, turning away from John.

Ada straightened a stack of papers and slid them over to me. "The restaurant can provide enough food but they said it'll arrive two hours late because of the short notice."

      I shook my head, "What short notice? I had Finn send notice two weeks ago."

She shrugged, leaving me to rest my head in my hands from annoyance. I let out a groan, letting everyone inside the Garrison know that I was aggravated. I had been working on these plans for weeks, and a fault that was not my own is ruining everything.

      "I guess we can start the party an hour later, and we can fill the second hour," I turned to John, "Change the start time to 7 instead of 6, okay?"

"Fucking hell, Y/N, I've already made up the time on all of these."

      I leaned my head on his shoulder, "It's okay, I was gunna throw the invites out anyway." I laughed, letting him know I was joking.

      "I'll throw you out instead." He mumbled under his breath. I rolled my eyes, then patted his shoulder, only getting him more annoyed.

      I turned when I heard the doors open to see Polly walk in; thankfully she looked happy, so hopefully she got the band that I wanted. I stood up and met her at the doorway.

      "Good news, I hope." I said, giving her a quick hug.

      "They'll be here at 5:30 to set up and be ready by 6." She took a seat next to John at the bar, looking at his invitations that he's now started over on.

      "Polly, Finn didn't send out the invites on time, so the food won't be there until 8. I rescheduled for the party to start at 7 instead."

She sighed, "Well I guess I'll have to call them back then."

      "Sorry, Pol. Blame Finn." I replied, walking over to view the banner that Arthur finished putting up.     I hummed softly, tilting my head to look at the banner.

      "Don't tell me it ain't straight," Arthur called from one of the booths. I laughed. Teasing him was too easy.

      "It's fine Arthur," I let out a breathy laugh, "Everything is fine. The party will be fine." I was trying to convince myself nothing would go wrong, but I had a feeling some last minute problem would arise.

     "Calm yourself, love; this is not Michael's first birthday." Polly said as she took a drag from her cigarette.

      "While that may be, this is his first birthday here in Birmingham. It's his first birthday with us. It needs to be special. And if you all think otherwise then there's the door. Cause if this party is anything but the best I will never live it down."

~*~

"I am never living this down." I muttered in defeat.