Chapter 13- October

Start from the beginning

I wasn't even half through my cigarette when my door opened. I looked over to see Zach coming in. He shut the door behind him and walked over to sit beside me. I heard him sigh. "What?" I asked, frowning slightly. He shook his head and then shrugged half-heartedly. I wondered how he felt... I wasn't sure if he was angry or not. I looked at him and he was staring blankly ahead, giving no hint towards any emotions. I took a drag of my cigarette and shook my head, turning my gaze towards my window.

"Did you do it on purpose?" Zach suddenly spoke, almost startling me. I knew that he was talking about the fight immediately.

"No!" I retorted, feeling slightly offended. I wasn't that much of a drama queen.

"Okay," He spat back. I could hear his anger now. "Why the fuck are you so stupid, Dylan?" He growled. "What happens when you hurt someone badly and they decide to press charges? Or what happens when you get hurt?" Was he really that concerned? I rolled my eyes.

"I don't know...," I mumbled, scowling. There was silence for a couple seconds.

"You know, it is times like these that I am reminded that you are only fifteen...," Zach said coldly. I felt heat run through my body. I hated when people called me immature.

"Fuck you, Zach!" I turned to glare at him as he stood up from my bed. He smirked and rolled his eyes, not even looking at me as he turned and left my room. I was so angry and frustrated, I felt like screaming. I took a hard drag from my half finished cigarette and smashed it roughly into the ashtray, nearly burning my fingertips. I blew the smoke out quickly and sat for a moment. "Fuck!" I yelled before gripping onto my hair tightly. I let myself fall back onto my bed and stared up at my ceiling. Today sucked...

The rest of the day was no walk in the park. I was scolded by Claudia, Zach barely talked to me, and Deron came home in a bad mood. Those are all ingredients for a wonderful day in the Riedel household!

Eventually day turned into night and only Zach and I were awake. Claudia had made me go to bed, so I was laying in my bed alone, listening the crickets outside as I smoked a cigarette. I could hear Zach walking up the stairs, so I knew he was awake. I tensed slightly as he came closer to my door. I wasn't sure if I was hoping he would come in or go past to his room. The footsteps stopped and there was a pause before I heard my door slowly and quietly open. I didn't look back. The door shut and I heard shoes hit my floor. Apparently he had rudely kicked his shoes, which were probably muddy and disgusting, off in my room... Why hadn't he taken them off downstairs?

I ashed my cigarette and finally looked over to see Zach walking towards me. He sat down on my bed in front of me and rubbed his eyes. I suddenly felt nervous, and I wasn't sure why. I liked to be stubborn, but I didn't want him seriously mad at me... did I?

"Do you have anything to say?" Zach suddenly asked and turned to look at me. I sighed and took another drag of my cigarette.

"I'm sorry," I said, not really meaning it, after I released the smoke. I didn't like folding, but I felt so weak under his gaze. He blinked, the corner of his mouth twitching. I let my shoulders sink, deciding to give in completely. "I am...," I said sadly. I stared down at the smoke flowing from the end of my cigarette and waited for him to say something.

"I believe you," He said at last and scooted closer. "But why, Dylan?" He asked, intensity in his voice. I shook my head.

"I don't know... cause people piss me off..." I said dryly, scowling at my ceiling. I took in a deep drag of my cigarette, aware of the heat I felt on my fingers. It needed to be put out soon. I took my final drag before smashing the butt into the ashtray. I sat up to put it on my night stand. "Can we not talk about this right now?" I asked, hoping that he would say yes.