Friends, Trophies and Sparring Patners

"Dammit!!!", It was not in his habit to use swear words but this time Harry felt rightfully justified as he dusted soot off his robes and face. Swearing was one of the acts that Harry Potter rarely did.

He was sure he could count the number of times he had cursed in the past on one hand.

Despite his frustration and agitation, Harry was relieved that the aftermath of his failed experiment left only a large crack in the floor and not on him. He waved his hands over the remnant of the torn page of Riddle's diary to vanish it. Not surprisingly, the debris remained where it was.

Harry had seen Riddle's diary react like this before If the last fifty-two times he had tried was taken to account. Ever since he got the diary after Hermione's death, he had been trying to unravel the mystery behind the diary.
His resolve was further strengthened after last year's event when Tom Riddle via Ginny Weasley's body kidnapped and possessed him. Even now, a year later after getting the diary, he was no closer to ascertaining its magical properties and how said magical properties work to produce the results it did. To say Harry was taken aback by this is the understatement of the century.

He thought if he could draw a three-way transmutation circle, around a page of the wretched artifact, he could determine both the physical and magical properties of the page which would allow him to decipher the spells, runes, and equations that Tom Marvolo Riddle supposedly used to enchant the diary to contain a memory of his 16-year-old self, and maybe also to manipulate and modify those spells to his own devices.

However, the whole idea clearly would not work if the crack on the floor was anything to go by and he would therefore need to try a different approach. Harry stood, sitting down wide-eyed, and panting would do him no good.
He waved his hands at the broom lying some distance away which in turn obliged and dutifully floated to his outstretched hand and he wasted no time in cleaning the mess on the floor.

Harry picked the diary from the floor and he could feel the waves of magic it emitted.
Even in its destroyed state, it was leaking dark magic and Harry was ashamed to admit to himself that he was no closer to discovering the way it was created. It was frustrating sure but there was not much he could do about that right now.

He got up and went across the room to get to his trunk, hissed the password, and clicked on the third compartment. He slid into the makeshift room which contained his potions equipment, some rare potions he had modified, a bookshelf containing writing of both his and his mother's notes on Potions and Alchemy.

He went straight to a golden box which he opened with a drop of his blood and placed Riddle's diary in it before closing it for good measure.

Harry stretched and yawned, he had been working for the past four hours. He had to get to the dining hall, no doubt Kreacher would have set the table as his internal clock told him that it was already time for lunch.

"Master Harry, it's good to see you've finally left your room, Kreacher was just about to call you down for lunch, Kreacher made your favorite for you sir".

Harry smiled at the elf as he helped himself to a plate of a turkey sandwich with lettuce, tomatoes, olive oil with a vinaigrette dressing, and flaxseed. "Thanks, Kreacher, why not get some rest now, then maybe we can go and check the Trophy room later". Kreacher beamed up at him at his last words.

"Master Harry is too kind ". Harry smiled, he knew how much the elf loved the Black family heirlooms, that's why he refurbished one of the large empty rooms and collected all the artifacts of the ancient and most noble house of Black lying around the manor for Kreacher to go in and see them when he so pleases. Of course, Kreacher was not the only reason he created a "Trophy Room". Like most ancient and noble houses, the Black family was notoriously popular for owning numerous numbers artifacts with astonishing powers and Harry was sure he'd sleep better knowing that these potentially dangerous magical objects were contained somewhere in his line of sight.

Harry made sure he relished in the taste of his food, Kreacher had become so good at cooking what Harry considered to be healthier foods that he felt no need to supervise his anymore. Times like this made him glad that his effort into modeling the elf has not been in vain.

After his meal, Harry decided to write to his friends, It was now two weeks into their holidays, so Harry felt it was sufficient time enough to write to all his friends.