Chapter 19

(Here it is, at long last, the final chapter. I hope you enjoy.)

"I can't believe that idiot would actually do something like that," Jay muttered, but I knew he had purposely said it loud enough for me to hear.

We were all gathered around the table for a light lunch. I had slept through breakfast, and had only woken up a few minutes before we all sat down together.

"I mean, we all knew he was a terrible reaper, but to go that low?" he continued, louder this time.

I held my tongue, surprised no one was tapping me on the shoulder to inform me there was steam coming out of my ears.

"Honestly, William should have just-"

I slammed my hands down flat on the table, silencing him.

"Don't you dare say another word."

Jay smirked, then sat back in his seat and crossed his arms. I'd known he was only trying to get a reaction out of me. I'd tried not to say anything, but I wasn't going to sit and listen to him speak badly of my brother.

"I swear, if you do, you'll have me to deal with. And we both know that taking you out would be no problem for me."

His smirk fell. He didn't appear to feel threatened, but he was definitely uncomfortable. Good. That should teach him.

Jazz, who was seated beside me, placed a hand over mine. I felt myself relax at her touch. I glanced over at her worried face, then sighed and calmed myself.

"Careful," she whispered. "If Mom hears you, she may kick you out."

"It wouldn't matter. I'm going back home today, anyway." I had to. I had to stay with Grell and reconcile with our Mom. It had been a few weeks since I'd seen her. I had to make sure she knew I was okay.

Jazz's mom entered the kitchen. "Sorry about the wait, I had to go find something. Now, who's hungry?"

*

"Mom, I'm home!" I called as I entered the house, lugging my belongings behind me.

Grell was the first one at the door. He took my bag from me and helped me inside. Mom was there a beat later, hugging me tightly.

"Oh, honey, Grell told me everything. I'm so sorry for what I said."

I took a deep breath, inhaling her scent as I hugged her back. I'd missed her so much. "No, you were only trying to protect me. I'm sorry for running away."

She pulled back and smiled at me, unshed tears shining in her eyes. "It doesn't matter now. What's done is done and now you're home. So what your brother said is true, yes? You're finished? You're safe?"

I gave her the best smile I could. "For now, yes. They said they may have use for me again in the future, but for right now, they aren't going to mess with me." I looked over at Grell, then back at our mom. "Besides, I'm going to be babysitting this one for a while. It's a good thing they're giving me a bit of a break."

Mom's smile saddened, but never disappeared. "Yes, unfortunately someone has to keep an eye on him for a while. And I'm sure you would rather do anything else but watch over your brother, but I'm happy you'll be looking out for him and getting him back on track."

"Really? Why?"

Mom's smile brightened. "Because I know you are a skilled reaper as well as an excellent sister. He needs someone like you right now."

Grell cleared his throat suddenly. "I'm still here, you know."

Mom turned her loving face from me to scowl at my brother. "I'm well aware. And you better be grateful I let you come back at all after what you did!"

Grell backed away slowly, then fled from the room. Mom gave chase, yelling at him about everything he had done wrong while he was away.

I sighed contentedly. It was good to be home.

*

"Grell, we have a reaping to do! Hurry up!" I called from the front door, anxiously waiting for him.

A few days had passed since I'd returned home, and I'd taken the time to focus hard on my training, as well as watch over my brother. He hadn't left the house the entire time. He mostly sat on the couch, glumly opening and closing his scissor-shaped scythes.

Finally, he rounded the corner. "Sorry, Scar, you know how I have to make sure my outfit is perfect before I can leave the house."

I sighed. "Just because we are going back to the human world does not mean you'll be seeing that demon again."

"His name is Bassy!" he scolded.

"His name is Sebastian," I corrected. "It's probably not even his real name."

Grell dramatically clasped his hands and stared into the sky dreamily. "Ah, I wonder what my Bassy's real name is. I bet it's something so manly-"

"Will you cut it out!?" I yelled at him, lightly punching his head to shut him up.

He rubbed his head and pouted. "You're so mean, Scarlet."

I sighed. "No, I'm just realistic. You can't keep daydreaming about demons if you want your job back. You've got to focus."

Grell shook his head, clearing it. "You're right. I'm focusing."

We began walking away from the house, but Grell's concentration lasted a whole minute before he stopped walking and glanced at me. "You're not worried, are you?"

I cocked my head at him, confused. "Why would I be?"

His concern spread to his expression. "Whatever was talking to you and forcing you to do things. Are you worried it will come back once we are back in the human world?"

I shook my head. "I know they'll contact me again eventually. I can't just wait for it. I have to keep doing my job and living my life. When they do talk to me again, I'll deal with it. Just like last time."

Grell took my hand, then smiled. "No, not like last time. I'll be there this time. I won't get sidetracked. You're my sister. You should be my priority, not a random woman, not even a handsome demon. We'll do it together."

I smiled, then squeezed his hand and nodded. Whatever happens in the future, this time we'll be getting through it together.

Grell held my hand tighter, then led the way to the human world. Back to where our whole mess began.

(There you have it! I hope you enjoyed my story, even though it had many bumps along the way. I tried my hardest to write something worth reading, but I did get very sidetracked and then had writer's block for like three years, so...

I do, as always, have ideas for a sequel, if you couldn't tell by the ending. However, when I get to that sequel is still up in the air. Currently I still need to finish Fighting for the Lost and Yes, My Love, and then we'll see where that takes us. 

I love all of you who made it this far. Thank you so much for reading my story and sticking with it all these years. I'm so sorry it took so long, I'm sorry if anything early on in this story about Scarlet's views made you uncomfortable, offended you, or hurt your feelings in any way, shape, or form. Again, this takes place a long time ago when it wasn't as accepted as it is today. I have a whole plot ready to make up for it in the next one *wink wink*

Thanks again for reading. If this is somehow the first story of mine you've come across, please check out my others stories. They were all a lot of fun to write and I love all of them. I hope to see you over there soon. :)