Chapter 16

(Um, y'all mean to tell me that it's been over THREE YEARS since I last updated this story? I knew I'd gotten kinda lost with it, but I hadn't realized I'd been THAT lost. I am so sorry. I know plenty of people like this story. I'm working on it now, though. I hope you can all forgive the wait.)

(I know it isn't the best, but I had to do something. I was trying really hard not to just write the anime, so I know it's not great, but I wrote what I could. Hopefully the next chapter will be better. I'm finishing this story. I swear to all of you that it's going to happen. Anyway, I hope you enjoy the chapter.)

We ran through the streets of London, searching for any sign of the boy and his demon. With each passing minute, the sky grew brighter. I was beginning to lose hope.

"I thought you said you knew where he was," Jazz called out while we were running through the city.

"He's in the city somewhere, I'm sure of it. If he isn't home, then he's on a case. And the case probably has something to do with the recent murders, like the crime scene we saw."

"So, what I'm getting from all of this is that we have to run through London all night until we hear someone die or find them?"

"More or less," I called back to her.

I heard her sigh, but I did my best to ignore it. I didn't have time to think of a better plan. Besides, it didn't take long for a scream in the night to pull us in the direction we were searching for.

After a few minutes of running, we found ourselves running into an alley. That was when we saw them. The tall demon, the Phantomhive boy, a woman in red, and my big brother.

After a moment of staring, I grabbed Jazz by the arm and jumped onto the rooftops. We hid behind a chimney, not wanting to be spotted.

"So what's the plan?" Jazz asked quietly.

I didn't answer, I just watched the scene below us. We were too far away to hear what they were saying, but I heard my brother laugh several times, and I could tell he was trying to flirt with the demon. I sighed, trying to ignore his actions as I thought of what I could do to make the demons or whatever they were happy.

After a long moment, the demon and Grell started fighting each other. I turned away, not wanting to watch, but got a sudden idea.

"Jazz, go back and get Will."

"What? I'm not leaving you-"

"Please. I promise I won't move. This is bigger than us. We can't take on a demon."

"But how are you going to get the boy away from the demon?" she asked. "You need me to help you."

I sighed as I looked back down at the scene. Grell and Sebastian were still fighting, and the boy and the lady in red were speaking to each other. The only thing I could hear other than Jazz was the loud noise from Grell's scythe.

"I'm not going to. I'll take the punishment."

"Scar-"

"This assignment is bigger than me. I can't do it. Go get Will. I won't let them kill me, I swear it."

Jazz stared into my eyes for a long moment, then slowly nodded. "I'll be back soon. Don't do anything stupid."

I nodded. "I'll be just fine."

I watched as Jazz ducked and ran away from the fighting below us. When she disappeared from view, I returned my gaze to the fight in time to see Grell do something I had hoped to never witness.

The woman in red was shaking, facing the Phantomhive with her eyes closed and her hands hugging her body. She was saying something that I couldn't hear, then it happened.

Grell turned to her, irritation on his face. A moment later, his scythe was slicing through her skin.

I covered my mouth, trying not to gasp or vomit from the sight. Blood flew from the woman's body as she fell to the ground, and immediately her cinematic record began flying through the air.

I watched her life flash before our eyes along with the others. She had fallen for her sister's husband, hadn't been able to have children, and decided to take the life from women who could do what she could not but refused to do so. I saw Grell come into her life and offer her assistance. I looked away then, not wanting to see the cruel deeds my brother and her had committed.

I heard soft mumbles after that. Only one phrase reached my ears, and made my whole body freeze.

"I thought I ordered you to put an end to Jack the Ripper," the Phantomhive said to his butler. "It's not over yet. One is left. Stop standing there and kill him!"

I was petrified. He'd just ordered his demon to kill my brother. Nothing was going to stop him from doing so. But I couldn't jump in to help. I would just get in the way.

I was broken from my thoughts as Grell and the demon jumped up onto the roof beside me. I stared, trying to keep myself hidden.

The demon had taken a hit from Grell's scythe, and his suit was ripped. Grell's back was to me, but he seemed to be fine, which I was relieved to see.

As I watched their standoff, I noticed the demon smile. I followed his eyes, and saw they were looking right at me. I'd been noticed.

I was trying to think of something I could say if Grell turned around when they ran at each other again. Grell swung his scythe and managed to cut the demon again. His record shot out of his body, but when I looked up to watch it, it was mostly blank, save for a few incompetent servants.

As Grell complained, I turned my head in the direction Jazz had run off. She should have been back by now. Had something happened?

Just then, I heard Grell's scythe again, and it sounded much closer. I looked around the chimney I was hiding behind and noticed he was directly on the other side, speaking to the demon. I watched as they talked, not quite able to hear the conversation, then saw the demon take his coat off and both of them jump forward to attack. I held my breath as I watched.

Suddenly, the demon smiled at me once again, and then there was the horrible sound of tearing cloth. I waited with bated breath as they both stared at the scythe, then Grell fell onto the rooftop.

I started to stand, wanting to run after him and make sure he was alright, but I soon remembered my place. I was in no way capable of fighting off a demon, especially with his master nearby to give him orders. If I wanted to stay alive, then I had to keep a low profile. I would be the best for myself and Grell. I would only get in the way.

Grell struggled with the fabric that was caught in his scythe while the demon gave him an almost innocent looking smile. Grell cried out something about his face, then I watched, jaw dropped, and the demon began to beat the living daylights out of my brother, managing to hit his face every time. He then sent Grell flying back toward the ground, where he managed to land and slide several meters on his face.

After a moment, the demon was approaching Grell with my brother's scythe. I then jumped from my hiding spot, no longer caring about the consequences. I couldn't let my brother die. I couldn't suffer through the agony of losing him a second time... (If you wish to have more details on what Scarlet is talking about, I recommend reading her backstory, "The Birth of a Reaper.")

Just as the demon attacked, Grell yelled loudly, "I can tell you who killed the kid's parents!"

I froze. Grell knew we couldn't talk about stuff like that. It would get him in major trouble. I sighed. He'll do anything to save his own skin...

I was brought back to reality as the demon swung the scythe.

"No!" I screamed, but no one heard me over the roar of the blade.

Suddenly, it was quiet and still below. I looked down to see a metal rod had stopped the demon's attack. I followed it to the source, and smiled brightly in relief.

Will was standing on another chimney, and behind him was Jazz.