Chapter 8

I left Jazz's house and was on my way to search for this Phantomhive when I ran into my brother waiting for me by the gate.

"What are you doing, Grell?" I asked, annoyed.

My older brother looked at me in shock, then composed himself. He was carrying a small suitcase with him.

"Goodness, can't your dear older sister go out on the town with an extra change of clothes in case something happens to the ones she's wearing now?" Grell flipped his hair for emphasis, but it only made him look like an idiot.

"Whatever. Just don't get in my way tonight. This is do or die."

Grell looked at me, his girly side vanishing into thin air. He dropped the suitcase and walked over to me.

"Do or die for you?"

I nodded.

Grell frowned. "They're going to kill you if you refuse to find him?"

I nodded again.

"Should I help you? I could-"

"No, Grell. I have to do this by myself. I don't want to drag anyone in and risk getting them hurt. And please," I added, "don't tell Mom about this. She's already worried about me enough. If she finds out something, tell her I'm trying to save myself, and that she shouldn't get involved. Alright?"

Grell hesitated, then nodded slowly.

"Good," I sighed in relief. The people I cared about most had agreed to stay out of this whole ordeal. If anyone died, it would be me, and no one else would.

I waved goodbye to Grell, and then walked through the gate to the human world.

***

London looked like... well, London. I walked the streets for a while, and didn't talk to any of the passerby. The last thing I wanted was to draw attention to myself and then get punished for it. I'd agreed to find the Phantomhive, and I wasn't going to make it any harder for myself than in had to be.

I heard a scream that night, and froze. A few moments later, I realized it wasn't in my head, and ran to find the source.

She I arrived, though, it was too late.

A young woman lay on the ground, soaked in blood and surrounded by it. I almost vomited. She wasn't even in one piece. Her throat had been slit, along with her lower stomach. One of her hands had been cut off, and it lay a few feet away, with its own pool of blood.

I ran from the scene. Why had I done that? What had I run to check on someone who screamed? Had I hoped the Phantomhive would be there? Had I thought I could be helpful, or was I just curious? Whatever reason it was though didn't matter. What mattered was that I now had that image stuck in my head forever.

And something told me I would see a lot more that just that one, and that they would probably be much, much worse.

(I'm sorry this chapter was so short! I've had the first part of this chapter written since, like, last time I updated, but then I got into a mega writing slump and couldn't think of anything to write. But I finally thought of something! YAY!!! And I only forced myself to do this for you guys. In my defence, I did put this on hold because I had to talk time and think of good ideas. Anyway, love to all of you!)