Chapter 23

(Y/N)'s POV:

Two weeks flew by quick.

It was Friday, and I was just finishing my test for Katie's class.

I circle the answer to the last question and then look around the classroom. Many were still testing.

My eyes fall on Evelyn, who is watching me with eager eyes. 'Help', she mouths.

I smirk and shrug my shoulders.

'Please', her desperate looks makes me feel a little empathy for her. I've been in that place before.

My eyes scan the room for Katie, who is distracted grading the tests that are already turned in.

I nod and she quickly points to a question.

I give her a 'really' look and she waves it off, harshly motioning her pencil to the question.

'C' I mouth. She circles C on her paper and then I shake my head no. She gives me an annoyed look, and I give her the right answer.

I decide to look over my answers one more time, just in case.

The bell rings, dismissing class, and students start to crowd in front of Katie.

I wait for them to disperse, and then I take my test to the front.

"You think you're sneaky, (L/N)?" Katie's eyes find mine.

"Excuse me?" I ask, not quite understanding what she meant.

After a moment, I finally know what she means. I get a little nervous and scratch the back of head.

"Uh, sorry."

"You know the rules. I'm going to have to take points off from your paper." She explains.

"What?!" I open my mouth, shocked.

Her face remains serious as she doesn't say anything back.

"She asked me." I defend, definitely throwing my best friend under the bus.

"And you gave her the answers."

"It was one, my friend." I retort.

"I'm not your friend. And I expect better from you."

"Fine. But it's not fair." I finish, turning on my heels and exiting the room.

"Life's not fair, kid."

***

It was Saturday, and I was supposed to meet with Katie before we left to the airport. Except, I was still upset at her.

I had three missed calls from her and I was not thinking of returning them. Instead, I forced Evelyn to drive me to the airport as payback.

I was waiting for my flight to be announced.

"Why haven't you answered your phone?" The familiar voice gets closer.

I look up and the beautiful woman stands in front of me with her hands on her hips.

"It died." I lie.

She rolls her eyes and takes a seat next to me.

"You're avoiding me." She points out.

"I'm aware of that." I respond.

"Why?" She interrogates me.

"You know why." I distract myself with the device.

"I told you, you know better." Her voice draws my attention back to her.

"I know." I shrug, looking back at my phone.

A few moments later, our flight is announced and we start to board the plane.

***

It was my first time traveling in an airplane. I was more than excited actually.

I put my stuff away and take Katie's bags as well.

"Thank you."

I give her a smile, and then take a seat next to the window.

She sat next to me.

"So when did Dominic leave?" I ask, looking out.

"A week ago." She responds.

I let my eyes fall on her and nod my head.

"You've been distant." She jokingly accuses.

"I mean...we're fine, right?" My finger pointing back and forth between her and I.

"Mhm."

"If we're fine, I don't think there's anything else to do. It's not that I want to keep my distance, but it's better that way. Circumstances have changed now." I explain my point of view.

She raises her eyebrow, expecting me to elaborate the last part.

"What I mean is that you're my girlfriend's brother's girlfriend. And for you I would be your boyfriend's sister's girlfriend. It's not just between you and I anymore, teacher and student, but we have two other people involved that are related to each other." I continue to explain.

"Are you happy to see her again?" Katie asks, her green eyes fiercely staring at me.

"I am." I truthfully say. "But you're happy to see him again, too."

"You don't know that." She turns to face the seat ahead of her.

Everyone was situated now, and soon the plane was going to take off.

"Remember that you told me once that I didn't know if you liked him or not?" I bring it back to her memory.

"Yeah." She admits, her eyes falling to the ground.

"Katie." I start.

Here we go again.

Before I have a chance to say anything else, another voice announces that we're about to take off. They instruct us on what our behavior should be, and soon the plane starts moving.

***

I had fallen asleep shortly after we started flying, leaving Katie awake.

I slowly open my eyes, and feel someone's head rest on my shoulder.

I smile, realizing that it was Katie.

She looked very peaceful and it warmed my heart.

Too bad I wasn't going to be the one waking up to this every day.

Slowly, her eyes gracefully flutter open and reveal green orbs.

"Morning." I smile at her.

She lifts her head up and quickly says, "Sorry."

My smile becomes wider and I shake my head at her cute reaction. "For what?"

"Stop." She whines, looking away from me.

I simply laugh.

I look out the window and admire the view.

"How long has it been?" Katie asks.

"Not long. A few hours." I take a guess.

Soon after, a familiar voice announces that we're close to landing.

I'm ready for the week ahead. I need to make a great first impression on Jessica's parents, though. I think I'm ready for that.