Chapter 16

(Y/N)'s POV:

I start walking out of the gym, lost in thought, when I accidentally bump into someone.

"I'm sorry." I immediately apologize, not realizing who it was.

The guy turns around and his blue eyes connect with my dark brown pupils.

I roll my eyes realizing who it is.

"Stay away from Katie." He requests.

"Sorry, she's my teacher. I can't." I retort, leaving before allowing him a response.

Once I'm out of the building, I lean against the wall, balling my fists up and taking a deep breath in.

"(Y/N)!"

Wow. Just great.

I'm able to recognize the girly voice, since I did spend years hearing it. However, it doesn't bring me delight, it triggers my nerves.

I start walking the opposite way, away from the girl, pretending not to hear her.

I'm aware that she's following me, her footsteps becoming louder and heavy against the pavement.

I'm stopped when her hand yanks my arm backwards.

"Leave me alone." I calmly say, trying to ignore the fact that I want to hurt her so bad. I'm just not that kind of person, I've learned how to suppress the violence.

"Listen to me." She begs, her hand reaching out to caress my cheek. I yank it away though.

"You don't have a say." I spit.

"I tried, okay? I tried to forget about him. But he kept coming up and-"

"What do you mean you tried?!" I try to not raise my voice but fail incredibly.

She remains silent.

"Now you want to stay silent." I raise my eyebrows.

"I'm sorry. Please give me a chance." As soon as she takes a step forward, I take two back.

"How many times?" I curiously wonder out loud.

She pauses before responding, "Three."

I put my hand over my face, not believing my ears.

"I'm so stupid!" I yell, not caring about the people around me.

I shake my head in disbelief and walk away because I can feel tears threatening me. I don't want her to see me weak and sad. Actually, I'm more furious then I am sad. She betrayed me by having sex! It wasn't just a kiss.

The first thing I do when I get to Evelyn's place is take a shower. I don't know if it's tears or the water running down my face, but there's an extreme pain in my chest I can't ignore.

After a little while, I wrap the burrowed towel around my body, shutting the water off first.

I sit on the edge of the bed, thinking.

"Are you going to change or what?" Evelyn walks into the room.

"I don't have clothes. Let me borrow some?" I ask.

"No worries. I stopped by at your place and brought you some." She hands a bag over to me.

"It's not my place anymore." I take a deep breath in, closing my eyes.

She kisses my forehead lightly and exits the room, allowing me to change.

I make my way over to her closet in the other room and take a red hoodie from a hanger.

"You're stealing my clothes." I hear her giggle.

"I'm vulnerable, okay?" I joke, putting on the hoodie.

"No shirt under?" She raises her eyebrows and makes a disgusted face.

"I prefer it that way. You're guilty of it, too." I protest.

"You're not wrong." She smiles sweetly and I walk over to her, going in for a hug.

She quickly puts her arms around me.

"Thank you, Evelyn." I sincerely express my gratitude.

"That's what friends are for."

***

Katie had the whole class working with partners on the book we were currently reading. This time, instead of working with Alyssa, I was working with Evelyn.

However, like I've been doing these past days, I was distracted.

I felt a hand on my chin, and I snapped back to reality.

"Pay attention." Evelyn squeezes my cheeks, giggling.

I give her a half smile.

"I'll take that hoodie back if you don't." She smirks, threatening me.

I gasp at her threat. "Nope. This is mine." I proceed to smell the hoodie. It smells just like Evelyn---super good. It has a sweet but clean smell.

She rolls her eyes at me playfully.

Unintentionally, my eyes meet Katie's. With her arms folded, she raises her eyebrows at me, and I stare in confusion. Her eyes lose mine, focusing on something behind me. Or rather someone.

I feel a hand travel from my shoulder to my arm. I look up and feel the anger build up.

"Leave." I stare down at my book.

"Stop being stubborn." I feel Alyssa's hand sit on top of mine. I immediately  remove my hand and continue to ignore her.

I decide to put the hoodie on and place my head down on the desk. Maybe she'll leave.

"Alyssa, please leave." I recognize Evelyn's voice say.

"I need to talk to her. This is none of your business, Evelyn." An angry Alyssa says.

"Leave." I mumble, not wanting anything to do with her.

"Baby, just lis-"

I hear the sound of heels near me. "Excuse me Ms. Davis, please go back to your seat. I'm sure you can ask your partner for help."

"I have to talk to her." Alyssa raises her voice a little.

"Too bad Ms. (L/N) doesn't. Now, leave her alone." Katie raises her voice similar to Alyssa, the only difference is that hers radiates authority.

I feel Alyssa get up and soon leave, without saying another word.

As I raise my head back up, the tears pour down and hit the black words on my book.

I mouth a 'Thank you' to Katie and her expression softens.

Evelyn reaches out and wipes my tears away with her thumb. That only provokes more tears.

Without thinking, I stand up and move past Katie, heading towards the door.

I walk out of the classroom and lean on the wall. The door opens and Evelyn comes out.

She doesn't say anything as she let's me wet her shirt. Her fingers slide down my dark hair as she comforts me.

The bell rings and after a moment, Evelyn releases her grasp on me.

"I'm sorry." I apologize.

Katie comes into the picture, and she signals me to go into her classroom.

"I'll see you later?" Evelyn makes sure.

I nod my head up and down to confirm, and then walk inside the now empty classroom.